Runners-Up 2008: #7 - "Slumdog Millionaire"
7. "Slumdog Millionaire"
At some point, I'm going to stop underestimating Danny Boyle. Not that I'm alone in that, of course. He seems to be a perpetual underdog, even though his work has an energy that is unmistakable, film to film. I may not love this adaptation of Vikas Swarup's novel "Q&A" as much as some people did this year, but I still think it's a lovely, open-hearted film, a Dickensian take on Indian street life and the way following a dream can take us to the most unexpected places in life. My favorite thing about the film is the way Boyle cast the characters over the various stages in their lives. He did a great job of matching each of the kids who plays Jamal or Latika or Salim. He also did an amazing job as a Westerner of getting inside Indian culture, and the film feels authentic.
Even if the film as a whole didn't knock me flat, that sequence cut to M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" is one of the most blissful, confident sequences in any film this year, and you've got to love the cheek that it takes to actually pack in a dance sequence during the closing credits. I don't think Simon Beaufoy's screenplay actually does connect all the dots, but the notes it hits right are sweet, indeed.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
The director's next film promises to be packed with talentSunday, May 19, 2013
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013