Runners-Up 2008: #6 - "Timecrimes"
So I've officially decided... I do not want a time machine.
Nope. No good can come of it. I've suspected as much over the years, and sure, "Back To The Future" was a lot of fun, but... I have a strong suspicion I'd unravel the wrong thread and suddenly find myself trapped in a nightmare akin to the one that is sprung on the audience by madman Nacho Vigalando, writer and director of this ingenious no-budget Spanish film. Karra Elejalde is a powerful force as the average putz, spending a weekend at the country house with his wife, who stumbles into a time loop that I suspect it will take several viewings to puzzle out. And I like that. I like that it's a crazy little puzzle box, and the way things just keep getting worse as Elejalde struggles along in the timestream, fucking it up as badly as he can. The film's ending is a foregone conclusion... and that's sort of what makes it great. It's not about outsmarting the screenplay so you can say "I figured it out!" You need to know what's coming so that when it gets there, and Elejalde realizes that it's always going to be him that makes it happen, no matter what, it is not just a clever filmmaking game. It's like watching something small and furry struggle in the grip of a predator. Elejalde never stands a chance once he jumps out of time, but he goes down swinging. That Vigalando is able to also wring some huge dark comic laughs out of all of this, even during the climax of the film, is a testament to just how good he is with tone.
Like "Let The Right One In," this is part of an ongoing Magnolia Films series in theaters and on video, the Six-Series Shooters, and you'll be able to catch up with the film at home in 2009.
News From Our Partners
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013
Let's see what sort of boners fall out of Tobias's mouth this timeTuesday, May 21, 2013
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013
Plus he describes how he's like his character in the filmsMonday, May 20, 2013