The Motion/Captured Podcast: Movie God, a new game, and a fear of overhype
Is it possible to give a movie too much love?
I am filled with shame.
It turned into a big crazy week, and I ended up with this edited podcast sitting here on my desktop waiting to be posted, and I just plain never got around to it.
Now, hopefully, you'll still enjoy the contents this week since it's not tied to a particular release date. We discuss this week's new releases a little bit, but since I was still embargoed on "Apollo 18," you won't really hear me work up a full head of steam about how much I hated it. Lucky you.
Instead, we spend a good chunk of time talking about the dreaded demon of "overhype," and the way it can kill a good film by the the time an audience actually gets to lay eyes on it. It's on my mind right now as we gear up for the release of "Drive," a very good film that my critical brethren are in danger of destroying for the general public because they're pumping it up as the single greatest thing to ever happen in a movie theater. Which it's not. And I worry about this when I'm crazy about a new movie like "Attack The Block," and always working to strike a balance so I don't make you hate something by the time I'm done talking about it.
We also introduce a new game this week, and I didn't tell Scott what it was going to be until we were on the air and playing it. It takes its title, "Remake This!", from a column I used to do at Ain't It Cool, and I think it's an occasional game that will be fun to play as a way of trying to maintain some sanity amidst the barrage of our karaoke culture.
Here's a breakdown of this week's show:
Introduction/Opening Music: 00:00 - 01:15
General chat: 01:15 -
Some pre-Toronto talk about Almodovar: 03:30 - 06:30
Can overhype kill a movie? Thoughts on 'Drive' and more: 06:30 - 22:00
Have You Seen This?: 22:20 - 33:20
Movie God: 33:20 - 45:50
Remake This!: 45:50 - 57:00
This Weekend In Theaters: 57:00 -1:04:00
Wrapping it up: 01:04:00 - 01:08:53
As always, you can get the podcast here as a download or just click play, or you can go to iTunes to get hold of it. Please… if you do get it from iTunes, please leave us some feedback there. And while you're at it, feel free to download our new HitFix iPhone app, which is sort of a fresh start for our development team, who are always trying to find ways to make things easier and more convenient for you.
Thanks, as always, for listening.
The Motion/Captured Podcast S2E9: Overhype, Movie God, and a brand-new game
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013