Sundance interview: Watch Rutger Hauer and Jason Eisener unload about 'Hobo With A Shotgun'
From a SXSW joke to a wild final film, see how 'Hobo' came together
I do my best to avoid interviews at film festivals. It's not because I have a problem sitting down to talk people about their work, but because of the finite nature of time. There's only so much you can do at a festival, and when I'm averaging four hours of sleep a night as it is, something's got to give.
But there are interviews I make time for. Some, like the "Bellflower" conversations, are because I see something at the fest and flip out for it. My upcoming conversation with Lucky McKee and Pollyanna MacIntosh about their film "The Woman" is the same way. But others, you know you want to do before you ever even get on the plane, and one such priority for me this year was spending some time with Jason Eisener, who directed "Hobo With A Shotgun," and Rutger Hauer, who is the Hobo With A Shotgun.
And it was sooooooo worth it.
I've met Jason a few times before, and after the Sundance premiere of his short film "Treevenge" a few years ago, we had a great chat standing outside the Egyptian theater on Main Street. But for this one, we did an extensive sit-down. So intensive that we've broken the full dialogue down into three six-minute videos.
Hauer has had an amazing circuitous career, moving from indie foreign films to giant Hollywood blockbusters to wild exploitation movies and back to indie foreign films. He doesn't play the game by anyone's else's rules, and he doesn't seem terribly concerned with what people think of his choices. This is a great, free-wheeling conversation, and by the end of it, I was more impressed than ever by Eisener, because he somehow harnessed all of this wild energy that Hauer seems to generate just sitting still, and he managed to focus it. I've seen more experienced directors who couldn't keep up with Hauer, and Eisener not only kept up with him, but the feeling I get is that he genuinely won the actor's respect.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
There was one exchange we had off-camera at the end of the interview that I want to include, just because he knocked me out of my own way of thinking. I was chatting with him about the documentary "Corman's World," and I mentioned how warm and affectionate the Nicholson interview is. "I think he looks back on those days with real fondness," I said, "but if I was a guy with a great script and only a million bucks to make it, there's no way Nicholson would do it for the love at this point."
"Have you asked him?" Hauer replied.
"No," I said. "I'm just speaking hypothetically."
"Well if you haven't asked him, you don't know," he said. "These guys thought they'd never get me, and yet here we are. You have to ask the pretty girl if she wants to dance, and you'd be surprised how many people just won't because they're afraid of getting turned down."
He makes an excellent point, and that's just a sample of what you can expect from the conversation we did get on video.
As always, thanks to everyone who helped put this together and coordinate some crazy mid-festival schedules.
"Hobo With A Shotgun" will be in theaters April 1, through Magnet Releasing.
News From Our Partners
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013