Sundance Diary Day Two: Coscarelli, red carpets, and midnight movies
We share more of the experience on the ground in Park City
Day two of Sundance was really my first full day, starting around 7:00 AM and ending at about 2:30 the next morning. I did my best to capture images and moments and a few on-the-fly chats as I went, and hopefully this should give you some sense of things.
One of the things that's a little hard to fully convey, even in video, is the random nature of encounters up here. You'll be sitting in the Yarrow lobby writing and suddenly Mike Judge walks by, or you're walking out at the end of the movie and Malin Ackerman is in front of you, excitedly discussing the movie with her friends, or, as you'll see in this piece, you might even run into a director as he arrives at the festival, film literally in hand.
It was great to catch up with Don Coscarelli, who I got to know a little bit during the "Masters Of Horror" process, and I'm excited to see what he's done with David Wong's novel "John Dies At The End." It amazes me how filmmakers never really get over that nervousness about showing their film to an audience for the first time, and I spent some time talking to him about this movie, our experiences on "Masters," and just catching up in general. We'll have a more formal sit-down in a few days, but it was a great moment.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
I also sat down with Erin McCarthy, a journalist I've gotten to know over the last few years, and I love that she's here for Popular Mechanics. Talk about a different perspective on movies, right? I wanted to talk to her about what it is she looks for in a film festival when she's writing for an outlet like that.
You'll see some glimpses of the chaos that goes on from my perspective at a red carpet for a premiere here, and you'll see what it's like inside the Egyptian as the crowd gets revved up for a midnight movie. You'll also get a glimpse of the chaos on the streets outside as Main Street is packed with drunken lunatics
Our coverage for the rest of the Sundance Film Festival will continue through next weekend, and we'll keep this up over the rest of the fest, and as always, let me know what you think and what else you'd be curious to see.
News From Our Partners
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013
Can this series really survive the loss of Justin Lin?Wednesday, May 15, 2013