'Star Trek 2' moves out of summer 2012, and 'G.I. Joe 2' moves in
JJ Abrams gets closer to the director's chair as release date shuffle kicks in
I sincerely hope that Mike Fleming's report is correct and that JJ Abrams is finally ready to commit to directing "Star Trek 2."
Now that Paramount has dealt with the reality that the film won't be ready for the June 29, 2012 date they originally claimed for it, Jon Chu's "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" (which is evidently not called "Cobra Strikes" as previously reported to my endless amusement) will be moving up into that spot. I have no idea what to expect from that sequel as they've basically thrown out most of what made me cackle about the first film, like Joseph Gordon Levitt as Cobra Commander or Chris Eccleston as Destro.
Now Paramount has exercised their option on the cast, and it looks like Abrams is hard at work with Damon Lindelof, Bob Orci, and Alex Kurtzman to nail down the final drafts of the script. I'm dying to see where they go with this one, since they have the entire history of "Trek" to play with, and they have said enough about their approach to make it seem like a safe bet that they're not just going to rehash what we've already seen from the voyages of the Enterprise in the past. So many fans were yelping about Khan from the moment they walked out of the theater that I hope we don't see any Khan at all. That's the safe way to go, and totally lacking in imagination.
So when will we see "Star Trek 2"? The easy choice would be to push it a full year for the summer of 2013, but with "Man Of Steel" having just moved out of the December 2012 spot, maybe we could stand a little science-fiction action for the holidays.
Whatever the case, I just want to see them take the time to get this right, and it sounds to me like it's more important for them to nail the script than nail a release date. That's a heck of a good start.
News From Our Partners
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013