Is Will Smith making both 'Men In Black 3' and 'Bad Boys 3' for Sony?
The closest thing there is to a sure thing times two
Will Smith really is our last movie star.
Sure, there are people who audiences enjoy watching, actors who are a draw for one crowd or another, but that's not a movie star. A movie star is someone who audiences will go see in anything, someone whose personal charisma is so strong, so recognizable, that they sell tickets simply by being named on a poster. Tom Cruise probably counts, but he's taken some big hits in the last few years, and until we see how "Knight and Day" opens, I'm not sure I can say he's still the movie star he once was.
Will Smith, though? There's no one bigger. And Sony has got to be hoping that's as true today as it's been in the past, because it looks like he's the focus of two megamovies that the studio hopes to greenlight in the very near future.
They've got to be praying that all the stars align for "Men In Black 3-D," which may reunite Smith with Tommy Lee Jones and director Barry Sonnenfeld. It sounds like if they do it, they're going to have to do it fast, since they need a movie for Summer 2011. Roger Friedman is reporting that Sonnenfeld says all the deals are done and both Smith and Jones are onboard for this new installment in the SF/comedy franchise. Rumors have been brewing for a while now about this film, including one that Sacha Baron Cohen and Jemaine Clement are competing for a featured role in the film. Either one would be a nice catch for Sonnenfeld. Just adding 3D isn't enough to make me think this is a film worth seeing, but who am I kidding? This thing will be omnipresent if it does get made, unavoidable. And I have a feeling if it's happening, it'll happen very very soon.
And after that? Well, Martin Lawrence seems to think Michael Bay is going to be stepping up to direct "Bad Boys 3," with both Lawrence and Smith returning. I know lots of critics who love to sneer at the "Bad Boys" films, but the second one is a huge, sinister, mean-spirited hoot, and one of the most over-the-top action films I've ever seen. I love it. It is the closest thing I have to a full-blown guilty pleasure, only it's so well-built as pure kinetic thrill that I have trouble feeling guilty about it. If both Lawrence and Smith are back and it really is Michael Bay directing again, then this is a slamdunk. It'll be a nice release for Bay, who has been working in the PG-13 realm for his last few "Transformers " films, and I'll bet he's got a major itch to cut loose. This is the perfect way to do it, too.
In both cases, there's a lot of hedging built into the stories, so if they don't come together, Friedman and MTV can claim that they never said it was a sure thing. Whatever the final case, though, I'll bet Smith is considering that next film long and hard, determined to get everything just right
After all, he's not a movie star by accident.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013