Watch: 'Sherlock Holmes' shows Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law in action
Can the Joel Silver & Guy Ritchie film balance brains & brawn this Xmas?
If you want to read about my time on the set, you can read part one, or part two, both with a fair amount of detail about what to expect from the film, including descriptions of stuff you can see now for yourself in the trailer.
Having read the script, met the cast, spoken to the director and the producers, and having also seen several sequences in rough-cut, it was obvious to me that the film plans to pay strict homage to the original Arthur Conan Doyle short stories while also using details that are just suggested or mentioned in those stories to goose things up a bit and make them justthatmuch more blockbustery. It's a big ambition for one of the most recognizable fictional characters in the world, and if it works, then Robert Downey Jr. becomes a two-franchise threat.
That enough of a comeback for you, Hollywood?
[more after the jump]
What I find most interesting today is what I'm going to call the "Jeffrey Wells phenomenon," where people are looking at the trailer, deciding based on what they see that it's a complete rape of the character and the ideas of Arthur Conan Doyle, and then loudly complaining about it on the internet. Now, I know... this is the first time in history that anyone has ever signed onto the internet and loudly complained about something while being wildly misinformed. But still...
Yes, there's a big broad sense of humor at work here. That's not a surprise. The chemistry I saw on-set between Downey and Law was ridiculous and relaxed and engaged. I bought them as friends. And Ritchie seems to me to be a man with a mission right now. He's got a lot to prove, and he seems to not only know it but welcome it.
Obviously, this is just a tease, our first look at the tone and the world and the characters themselves, but I think it's going to start a real buzz for the film when people see it in front of "Terminator: Salvation" this weekend. And by the time Robert Downey Jr. finishes charming everyone's ass off on the talk show circuit this fall, selling this and "Iron Man 2," we're probably looking at one of the biggest films of the holidays season.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013