Sam Raimi logs on for 'World Of Warcraft'
Sets adaptation of popular game to shoot after 'Spider-Man 4'
Well, Harry, nicely played.
Leave it to Grande Rojo to break one of the biggest out-of-the-blue scoops of the year so far on the eve of Comic-Con so he can roll into San Diego with that omnipresent shit-eating grin intact. And deservedly, because breaking the news that Sam Raimi is set to direct "Warcraft," the mega-budget adaptation of the insanely popular "World Of Warcraft" MMORPG, is a huge story in the geek world.
Actually, it's a huge story. Period. Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures have been working to develop a "WOW" film for a while now. I first reported on this project back in 2007, and at that point, they were working to try to get it onscreen by... well... now. Obviously, that didn't happen. I know a lot of filmmakers have approached them about the project, and they've talked to many directors. But holding out for someone with as strong a voice as Raimi was a great decision, one that should pay off nicely for them in the end.
Raimi obviously digs fantasy. Aside from producing the "Hercules" and "Xena" series, he's also a producer on "Legend Of The Seeker" right now. And there's a lot of interesting fantasy material working its way towards the screen still, even six years after the end of "Lord Of The Rings" on the bigscreen. I'm dying to see what HBO does with the George RR Martin books, for example.
But I'll admit I know very little about the world of "World Of Warcraft." I don't have time to give to MMORPGs. It just sounds like such a huge investment of headspace and energy. Obviously, there's something to it. You don't create rabid addicts the way Blizzard has if you're delivering a weak experience, so people are definitely getting something out of WOW as they play it. The biggest question is, will they get the same thing out of a film version?
[more after the jump]
Or does that matter? After all, the film has got to work for a much wider array of people if it's going to be a hit, and no doubt, any Sam Raimi studio fantasy film is going to have to have a huge budget behind it. We're talking about world-building here, and to do that well, you can't cheap it out. I know Raimi's got the visual imagination to do it justice, and now the key is finding a story that is going to resonate with people who have never played the game just as much as it works for people who play it every day.
It's a long time still before we see this one, but this news just made the film a little more real and a whole lot cooler.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
The director's next film promises to be packed with talentSunday, May 19, 2013
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013