Russell Brand is... Batman?
But just wait till you see who's playing Robin
Technically, yes. And Luis Guzman is Robin.
Which means I may be obligated to love "Arthur" when it comes out, no matter what.
Russell Brand is currently starring in a remake of the 1981 Dudley Moore comedy "Arthur," which told the story of a perpetually drunk millionaire bachelor who is expected to marry an heiress, but who wants to marry a woman he catches shoplifting instead. And he's got a reeeeeeeeeeally sarcastic butler.
In the Dudley Moore version, John Gielgud played the part, and he did so with such precision lacerating wit that he won an Oscar. Moore was nominated for one, and the screenplay by Steve Gordon was nominated as well. Gordon was a first timer, and I wonder what career he might have had if he hadn't died of a heart attack the year after "Arthur" was released. To knock it out of the park the way he did as writer and director on "Arthur" marked him as a pretty natural talent, and the film wasn't just a hit... it was beloved while it was out. If you weren't around in 1981, let me tell you... the Oscar-winning Christopher Cross song was omnipresent. You couldn't leave the house without hearing it somewhere. The film was huge.
I have no idea if Russell Brand is a draw for people or if he isn't, but I'm interested to see what he's capable of. So far, he impresses me as a naturally talented guy who has yet to push himself as hard as he can, which means there's more we'll see from him. There's honesty in the big broad work he does, and that implies there's a solid dramatic performer in there somewhere. So far, Brand has carefully kept up the outrageous like a smoke screen. With "Arthur," I think he's going to have to give us more than we've seen from him so far, especially with Helen Mirren playing the role that Gielgud won his Oscar playing.
Over the weekend, some truly bizarre photos from the set have leaked, and it looks to me like Brand's Arthur makes eccentric but excellent use of his money. If I were a millionaire, I'd be an eccentric one, and if I were an eccentric one, I'd probably end up buying an actual Batmobile from one of the movies.
And if I had my own Batmobile, I'd need a Robin. And I'd probably hire Luis Guzman.
There are a ton of huge clear photos of Russell Brand in the get-up when you follow this link. Here's an example of what you'll see, a great close-up of him in the Batsuit with a particularly great take on the utility belt. Is that a Bat-flask I spy?
Latino Review is where I saw these first, and they have a few great exclusive ones as well, including this amazing view of Guzman at his most majestic:
And then Russell Brand was Tweeting images all weekend on his own, including this one:
"Arthur" will be in theaters next year, with no firm release date yet. Color me curious.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
Become a fan of HitFix on Facebook.
News From Our Partners
- Demi Lovato Is Thrilled That Her Voice Is Finally Being Heard on Radio [Video] One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
- Mega Man X Trailer: The Blue Bomber Busts His Way to Wii U Next Week The Wrap Up: Charlie Sheen Gets a New Name For 'Machete Kills' New 'Man of Steel' TV Spot: "Why Did You Send Me Here?"
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Babble.com: 8 Parenting Lessons To Learn From 'Arrested Development' WATCH: New 'Arrested' Clip You Probably Haven't Seen What Is Up With Rob Lowe's Face? The Actor On His Crazy 'Candelabra' Role
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Ten: The big wrap-up, including Jim Jarmusch's fantastic vampire film Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer
And if so, what does his character name suggest for the future?Saturday, May 25, 2013
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013