'Kick-Ass,' Hit Girl and Big Daddy take no prisoners in poster debut
Striking design for a spectacular movie
I am flat-out impressed by the way they brought the entire campaign together in a catchy, colorful, comic-inspired one-sheet that is both simple and evocative.
"Kick-Ass" is, in many ways, a challenge for a marketing team. You can't really sell it to the typical comic crowd, because it's not a kid-friendly film. And although the comic has been a hit during its run, it isn't at the same sort of cultural awareness as even a d-lister from the major companies like "Ghost Rider" or "The Punisher." These are new characters, a new property, and you're basically selling it without any giant movie stars to help out.
Sure, there's Nic Cage, but you can't sell it as his movie, because it's not. And Mark Strong may be a guy that savvy moviegoers are starting to recognize, but he doesn't sell tickets. And even if you're a fan of "Superbad," there's no proof that audiences are clamoring to line up for the next Chris Mintz-Plasse film yet.
Nope. You've got concept on your side, and that's about it. "What if you could really dress up as a superhero and go fight crime? What would that be like?"
Oh, and of course, it helps that the film is totally f'ing awesome.
Over the last few months, we've seen a slew of character-based posters for the film, including a great idea where several of the early teaser posters all linked together into one image of the main characters standing over the city, looking down at it. Now, thanks to Lionsgate, HitFix is pleased to premiere the final one-sheet, and I think they did a great job of creating something that would stop me in a theater lobby to check it out. You've got to cut through the barrage of white noise somehow, and I think this is a really clever way to do it:
See what I mean?
The film will open this year's SXSW film festival in Austin, and it's already scared at least one movie off its opening weekend. I think "Kick-Ass" is going to leave a Tunguska-sized crater in pop culture when it arrives, and I'm really pleased to see how Lionsgate is handling it so far.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013
Can this series really survive the loss of Justin Lin?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Plus how devoted do you have to be to be called a 'Trekkkie'?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Will he be heading out on a new adventure soon?Tuesday, May 14, 2013