Paramount beams up Chris Pine as the new Jack Ryan
Tom Clancy's most famous character gets a reboot
It shouldn't surprise anyone that Paramount is trying to reboot the Jack Ryan franchise.
It also shouldn't surprise anyone that Chris Pine appears to be the man they want to step into the character previously played by Alec Baldwin, Ben Affleck, and Harrison Ford.
Paramount's smart to try to lock Pine down to a second franchise. His work in "Star Trek" this summer immediately put him on the radar of pretty much every filmmaker in town, and in my opinion, it's one of the most immediate star-making turns since the early work by Harrison Ford. There's a swagger to Pine and a confidence that makes him arresting onscreen, and yet he's got enough of a sense of humor about himself that it's appealing and not off-putting. He's a credible action lead, but he's obviously also got a brain in that head. Basically, he's the package people are looking for when they talk about movie stars, and it's been a while since we've seen one show up fully formed like this.
What I'm really curious about is what sort of premise they'll be dropping Pine's Ryan into, since they're not planning to adapt any of Clancy's novels this time. Hossein Amini has a strange pedigree for this type of movie. I like his work on "The Wings Of The Dove" and "Killshot," and I'm really curious to see "Drive," which sounds like more of a pure action movie, but so far, he's sort of unproven in this arena. Lorenzo Di Bonaventura and Mace Neufeld are producing the film for Paramount, and it sounds like they're still in development.
The real question at this point is which one's going to shoot first... "Star Trek" or this new Ryan film. There's also the DJ Caruso film, "The Art Of Making Money," which he's getting ready to sign on to make as well, but I'll bet that shoots first, since it sounds like it's basically just waiting to cast before it's ready to go. The two franchise pictures are both works-in-progress, and if Paramount's smart, they'll make sure the material is in great shape before they start, rather than chasing a release date for the sheer sake of it.
The story broke today in Variety.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
As the series shifts focus and winds down, we talk to the main trio about returning one last timeWednesday, May 22, 2013
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013
Let's see what sort of boners fall out of Tobias's mouth this timeTuesday, May 21, 2013
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013