Paramount beams up Chris Pine as the new Jack Ryan
Tom Clancy's most famous character gets a reboot
It shouldn't surprise anyone that Paramount is trying to reboot the Jack Ryan franchise.
It also shouldn't surprise anyone that Chris Pine appears to be the man they want to step into the character previously played by Alec Baldwin, Ben Affleck, and Harrison Ford.
Paramount's smart to try to lock Pine down to a second franchise. His work in "Star Trek" this summer immediately put him on the radar of pretty much every filmmaker in town, and in my opinion, it's one of the most immediate star-making turns since the early work by Harrison Ford. There's a swagger to Pine and a confidence that makes him arresting onscreen, and yet he's got enough of a sense of humor about himself that it's appealing and not off-putting. He's a credible action lead, but he's obviously also got a brain in that head. Basically, he's the package people are looking for when they talk about movie stars, and it's been a while since we've seen one show up fully formed like this.
What I'm really curious about is what sort of premise they'll be dropping Pine's Ryan into, since they're not planning to adapt any of Clancy's novels this time. Hossein Amini has a strange pedigree for this type of movie. I like his work on "The Wings Of The Dove" and "Killshot," and I'm really curious to see "Drive," which sounds like more of a pure action movie, but so far, he's sort of unproven in this arena. Lorenzo Di Bonaventura and Mace Neufeld are producing the film for Paramount, and it sounds like they're still in development.
The real question at this point is which one's going to shoot first... "Star Trek" or this new Ryan film. There's also the DJ Caruso film, "The Art Of Making Money," which he's getting ready to sign on to make as well, but I'll bet that shoots first, since it sounds like it's basically just waiting to cast before it's ready to go. The two franchise pictures are both works-in-progress, and if Paramount's smart, they'll make sure the material is in great shape before they start, rather than chasing a release date for the sheer sake of it.
The story broke today in Variety.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013