One Thing I Love Today: The story behind that Joss Whedon photo
Why does my Twitter icon feature people who aren't me?
I changed my Twitter icon a while ago, and recently updated my profiles on pretty much any social media network that requires an icon so that I'm using the same image everywhere. What's funny is that because most icons are small, people don't seem to really "see" the icon, and it's only when someone takes a closer look that I get the question "What the heck is that photo, and where did it come from?"
First, I claim no ownership of the image. It was taken by Jake Lasker, who I don't know except from Twitter, where he first contacted me.
The backstory as he explained it to me was that he took this photo at Comic-Con 2010. He saw Joss Whedon walking along and asked him if he would stop for the picture. It was one of those quick random encounters, and Lasker walked away happy because he got to meet someone whose work meant so much to him.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
It wasn't until a full year later that he took a closer look at the photo and realized that somehow he had timed it perfectly to capture me, standing behind them, totally unaware that there was a picture being taken. I'm sure this happens all the time at Comic-Con, where there are photos being snapped almost constantly, but it's pretty unusual for someone to actually recognize you in the background and send you the picture.
But more than that, I think the photo basically sums up my identity as an online writer. When you come here to read about "Cabin In The Woods" or "The Avengers," you're here because you're interested in Joss Whedon and his work. That's as it should be. But hopefully the reason you pick HitFix and Motion/Captured is because of the experience I personally bring to my reporting and reviewing and because my 15 years of online reviews is a body of work that counts for something. I'm that dude in the background, and again… that's as it should be.
Make sure you check back here, or on Facebook, or at Epix HD this coming Sunday when I'll be conducting a live-chat with Whedon and Goddard about "Cabin In The Woods" (which I'm finally allowed to tell you I loved), something I think you'll really enjoy.
My eternal thanks to Jake Lasker for putting things into perspective for me.
ONE THING I LOVE TODAY appears here every day. Except when it doesn't.
News From Our Partners
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
The director's next film promises to be packed with talentSunday, May 19, 2013
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013