On The Screen (2.20.09) Tyler Perry and fake teenagers
Plus Bollywood in limited release and a Best Picture nominee marathon
This will not take long.
February's never great for movie releases, but this month in particular feels like a complete drag, and this weekend is the worst of it. That is, unless you're a huge fan of Tyler Perry or cheerleader comedies.
Case in point...
"Madea Goes To Jail"
I'm not the audience for Tyler Perry films, but not for the reason you might think.
[more after the jump]
I think he paints in stereotype, and I think his sense of humor is so broad it makes "The Little Rascals" look like Moliere. I don't care what color his casts are... it's the overall community theater tone of his work that I don't connect with.
I am glad he has an audience that feels like he is speaking directly to them. I do not begrudge them their twice-annual dose of Perry at this point. I don't have to hate his existence just because I don't like his movies. I just choose not to see them after giving three or four of them a try. If I hear he's radically shaken up the formula, maybe I'll try again, but until then, he'll have to release "Madea Goes To Camp" and "Madea Goes Bananas" without my reviews.
I'm sure he'll survive.
Normally I'd say that this documentary is also not aimed at me, since I know very little about the fashion world, but I thought "The September Issue" was one of the most enjoyable films at Sundance, and that's a documentary about making one issue of Vogue, so obviously the subject matter can be interesting.
If this look at one of the winners of "Project Runway" as he tries to launch his first collection since winning manages to comment on reality TV and living up to empty hype and instant fame, then those are all subjects that are worth discussion now. If it's just a puff piece designed to further his moment of fame, then I'm not sure it's for me.
Still... I'm curious.
Two guys in their 40s decide to skip football camp to attend cheerleader camp so they can tag some ass.
The primary cast of "Grease" looked younger than these people. At what point are we going to stop having people who can remember when Studio 54 was actually a hot nightclub play teenagers in current films?
If you've got a theater near you that actively programs Bollywood films, then keep an eye out for this one, opening in limited release today. I'm not able to really pin down what it's about, and I suspect that wouldn't change even if I saw the film.
"AMC Best Picture Showcase"
Finally, if you're looking for a rev-up to the Oscars, AMC is holding their annual event where you can pay one price and get a ticket to an all-day marathon of all five of the Best Picture nominees. If you need to catch up, this is the perfect way to do it.
Next week's looking a little on the slim side, too, but at least we'll have a new Harrison Ford film to discuss. Until then...
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
As the series shifts focus and winds down, we talk to the main trio about returning one last timeWednesday, May 22, 2013
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013
Let's see what sort of boners fall out of Tobias's mouth this timeTuesday, May 21, 2013
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013