Oliver Platt will be The Man In Black in 'X-Men: First Class'
Still no Cyclops cast in X-Men Prequel
Matthew Vaughn appears to be casting the superhero prequel "X-Men: First Class" in record time. It's being reported by Deadline that Oliver Platt will be joining the ensemble as a non-mutant, somewhat government-agent-sounding "The Man In Black.
The film centers around Charles Xavier and Magneto's early friendly relationship, and perhaps the creation of the first incarnation of the superhero group The X-Men. Originally published in 1963 by Marvel Comics, "The X-Men" were created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, it is yet unknown how closely the film will follow the early story lines of the comics, but we do know that certain characters will be in it from the casting news.
James McAvoy will play the telepathic Charles Xavier, and Michael Fassbender will appear as Magneto. Of the super team itself, (which originally consisted of Cyclops, the Beast, Angel, Iceman, and Jean Grey) only Nicholas Hoult has been cast as The Beast. Other notable side characters cast are Alice Eve in the role of Emma Frost and Morgan Lily as a young Mystique (the blue mutant famously portrayed by Rebecca Romijn in the last few X-Men Movies.) Kevin Bacon has also been cast as Sebastian Shaw, and Rose Byrne may join as Moira McTaggert.
Oliver Platt is currently appearing as Laura Linney's husband in the new Showtime Cancer Dramedy series "The Big C" (you can watch the first episode in it's entirety right here on hitfix.com)
"X-Men: Fist Class" is scheduled to begin shooting next month in London.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013
Can this series really survive the loss of Justin Lin?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Plus how devoted do you have to be to be called a 'Trekkkie'?Tuesday, May 14, 2013