Off Again, This Time To Fantastic Fest 2009
Yep... time for Austin
Why Fantastic Fest?
After all, this isn't one of the "big" festivals that the press typically covers. That circuit goes Sundance, SXSW, Cannes, Venice, Toronto, Berlin, Telluride, and then repeats. That's where all the deals are made. That's where you'll see the endless red carpets.
Me? I've always been drawn to Fantasia in Montreal, or Sittges, or, yes, Fantastic Fest in Austin. To me, the chance to spend ten days awash in the best genre material from around the world right now sounds like pure heaven, and I can't wait to get on the plane in about three hours.
Of course, Austin helps. For a fat man like me, Austin is pretty much Heaven. Picture a place where they make the greatest BBQ in the world, lots of it, and they show all the weird obscure movies you most want to see. That's Austin. That's Fantastic Fest.
And that's where I'll be starting today and running through October 1st. After that, I'm on a flight and then out of the country for four days on a top-secret-where-the-hell-am-I-going set visit, and then I'll be back to my regular schedule as soon as possible after October 8th.
[more after the jump]
There are still some big events coming this year, like AFI Fest here in LA, which just announced that "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" will be their opening night gala, and of course I'm hoping Harry invites me to Butt-Numb-A-Thon in December. But I'll be home for a while and back to the regular work of Motion/Captured, including the Motion/Captured Must-See series, Film Nerd 2.0, the Morning Read, and more. I've got something special and fun planned for October to celebrate Halloween, something I try to do every year no matter where I'm writing, and I hope you dig that.
But for the next couple of weeks, buckle up. I've got a ton of stuff to cover, and I am hoping to bring you coverage of titles like "Gentlemen Broncos," "The Vampire's Assistant," "[REC] 2," "Paranormal Activity," "Solomon Kane," "District 13: Ultimatum," "House Of The Devil," "Stingray Sam," another "Avatar" presentation with Jon Landau, and much, much more.
Please check in here at Motion/Captured, and trust that the rest of the awesome folks here at HitFix will be bringing you all the other news going on in the world of entertainment while I'm neck deep in the festival. I'll have a guest reviewer working with me at the fest, and I'll introduce you to him in the next couple of days.
For now, I'm off to pack and get ready. Random House just sent me "The Lost Symbol," so I guess I know what I'm doing on the plane.
Be well. I'm gonna go eat my own body weight in dead cow.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013