New 'Kick-Ass' clip and poster introduce Nic Cage as Big Daddy
The buzz builds as a new image arrives
I'm going to be publishing my thoughts on "Kick-Ass" verrrrrrrrrry soon, but I don't want to rush it.
Suffice to say, Matthew Vaughn conquered that Austin audience this weekend, and I'm thrilled with the way the film cut together. When you visit a set, you're looking at parts. Pieces. Potential. But until a film is done, almost anything could happen. I've seen films that were moderately impressive on set come together in a way that is almost confusingly great, and I've seen the exact opposite. With "Kick Ass," I hoped it was going to work from the moment I read the script, and in every one of the set reports I wrote after visiting last year, I was optimistic. I've been playing cheerleader ever since, and now, I'm thrilled to see that whatever I thought it was going to be, it's better.
I heard some criticism from people at BNAT of the way Lionsgate is handling the promo art on this film so far, but I disagree. I love the four-part poster featuring just the backs of the characters, and I love that they're not selling these people as movie stars, but as CHARACTERS. That's what I love about the film... it's not the violence, although that's awesome, and it's not the superhero stuff, even though that's fun.
No... this is a movie about a handful of truly special characters who meet each other at a very strange moment in time, and if it's going to work, it depends on the audience really buying into each of them. Kick-Ass, Hit Girl, Big Daddy, and the Red Mist all have to click if the audience is going to take this wild ride with them.
Here's the poster, which reveals just how "Phantom of the Paradise" meets "Batman" the design on Big Daddy really is:
And now here's the clip, which is the way we meet Damon (Nic Cage) and Mindy (Chloe Moretz) in the film.
"Kick Ass" arrives April 16, 2010. You are not ready.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
The director's next film promises to be packed with talentSunday, May 19, 2013
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013