My DVD Shelf: Sold Out: A Threevening With Kevin Smith
You know, it's not even really what Kevin Smith talks about that makes him such an interesting public speaker... it's the way he tells a story. It's almost like everything else he does, whether it be his filmmaking or his family or his comic book store, is simply there to provide fodder for the moments where Kevin is 100%, and that appears to be onstage in front of a crowd.
In fact, this DVD was shot at his 37th birthday party, held at a theater in New Jersey, and it's basically just Kevin shooting the shit with several hundred of his closest friends for several hours in the filthiest possible manner. I used to think I had a dirty mouth, but Kevin Smith makes me sound like a virgin nun by comparison. And when it comes to how much is too much to share, Smith doesn't seem to have any limits at all. He tells a story here about his dual bout with hemmorhoids and jury duty that is hilarious but just vile. I think my favorite stories of his are the ones that deflate the idea that everyone in Hollywood knows what they're doing, like the stories about "Live Free Or Die Hard," which all ring true in a way that very little about Hollywood ever does.
This is the third of the stand-up DVDs that Smith has released, and there's little middle ground here: either you're going to enjoy sitting down and listening to him hold forth on whatever topics cross his mind, or you'll be in agony from start to finish. These are not movies. They're not particularly structured. It's just a testament to the particular cult of personality that Smith has so carefully cultivated, and as such, the disc is almost insanely overstuffed.
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
The director's next film promises to be packed with talentSunday, May 19, 2013
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013