McG's proposed '20,000 Leagues' may stay submerged
Is the update to the Jules Verne classic dead in the water?
Well, I can't say I'm surprised.
Michael Fleming has confirmed that both Disney and McG have agreed to suspend work on the film. McG moves on to whatever he's going to do next, and Disney focuses on other projects. They really only pulled the trigger on this film in the first place, announcing the deals and making some noise about it, in order to derail another "20,000 Leagues" project. Disney has had a fairly healthy ownership of the title for about a half-century now, and I think they wanted to keep it a Disney property.
Maybe this will kickstart that David Fincher version again.
McG talked about having Will Smith play Captain Nemo, and he said he was absolutely serious about making it his next movie. Unless you have the right script, though, there's no reason to do it. There's nothing about it that demands that it be remade right now. People aren't out there crying for more Victorian adventure films set on submarines. I have a feeling the Disney version would look a lot like "Pirates Of The Caribbean" if it got made. Because all the live-action stuff DIsney's making that is aiming for that audience all looks pretty much exactly like "Pirates Of The Caribbean."
New Line had that other "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" project, but I'm not sure where it's set up now. Or if it still is. I just know that for a little while, the above configuration came together. And the whole point of that project was to finally do the story with an Indian lead actor, the way it needs to be if you're going to accurately play out the racial and political tension of the novel. And it was a big adventure, which I thought seemed like a really promising new thing for Fincher to do. You know he's got the chops to put any action filmmaker working to shame if he really wanted to do it... and I hope he does something like this some time soon, even if it's not this one in particular.
But if it is? Can you imagine?
Hope it's not just another might have been.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Ten: The big wrap-up, including Jim Jarmusch's fantastic vampire film Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Mega Man X Trailer: The Blue Bomber Busts His Way to Wii U Next Week The Wrap Up: Charlie Sheen Gets a New Name For 'Machete Kills' New 'Man of Steel' TV Spot: "Why Did You Send Me Here?"
- Demi Lovato Is Thrilled That Her Voice Is Finally Being Heard on Radio [Video] One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
And if so, what does his character name suggest for the future?Saturday, May 25, 2013
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013