Matthew Vaughn wants Nicholson, Beatty and Eastwood to suit up for 'Golden Age'
Will the Wossy comic about retirement home superheroes attract an A-list cast?
When I first read Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns," it felt revolutionary to see someone imagine Batman and Superman at the other end of their lives, after decades on the job had worn down their bodies and their souls, and ever since then, we've seen any number of superhero tropes bent and broken for fun by all sorts of creators. At this point, it's silly to call anything in the genre "post-modern," because the entire superhero world has been turned inside out so many times that it's hard to tell where the deconstruction begins anymore.
Which is not to say there's no room for a good idea, and it sounds to me like Jonathan Ross, the TV host and comic book addict who is married to Jane Goldman, has come up with a pretty cracking good idea. Matthew Vaughn, Goldman's frequent creative partner, evidently feels the same way because he's starting to discuss his plans to bring "The Golden Age" to the bigscreen.
Vaughn mentioned Clint Eastwood, Jack Nicholson, and Warren Beatty as his ideal casting for the leads, and if there was ever a superhero film starring all three of those guys, I would have to haunt the set like the Phantom of the goddamn Opera. Even if that doesn't come together, that sort of fantasy casting sets a specific tone, and I like what it sounds like Vaughn is trying to make.
Right now, there's little word on how the film will come together, but Vaughn's very good at playing his cards close to his vest until he has financing and distribution deals in place. If he says he's already got a major studio interested, then he does. And I hope he gets this one set up quickly. I'm curious to see if Jane Goldman ends up adapting her husband's work, or if they collaborate, or if Vaughn decides to reach out to new writers on it.
In the meantime, Vaughn's got a race to reach his release date on "X-Men: First Class," so I'm betting we won't hear much more about this one until May, when that film is supposed to be finished and ready to go. Until then, "The Golden Age" exists as an intriguing hypothetical, and I'm eager to see what comes of it.
"X-Men: First Class" is in theaters everywhere June 3, 2011.
News From Our Partners
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
Can this series really survive the loss of Justin Lin?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Plus how devoted do you have to be to be called a 'Trekkkie'?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Will he be heading out on a new adventure soon?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
An interview with one of the most exciting young filmmakers workingTuesday, May 14, 2013