Will director Mark Romanek class up Dan Brown's 'Lost Symbol' with Tom Hanks?
This could be an important moment for the director of 'Never Let You Go'
Mark Romanek and Tom Hanks almost worked together before.
"Almost" is a big word in Romanek's filmography, unfortunately. He almost made "The Wolfman" before famously falling out of the film which went on to be troubled all the way through production.
And in 2005, he almost made "A Cold Case," which was written by no less than John Sayles and Eric Roth. Based on a novel, it was the story of Andy Rosenzweig, an investigator for the Manhattan DA's office, who became obsessed with two murders from 1970 that he is convinced were pinned on the wrong person.
Now it looks like there's a chance they'll finally collaborate, and this could be an important film for Romanek, commercially speaking. He needs it, too. As gifted as he is, and I believe he's enormously gifted, he has not been a successful filmmaker in terms of box-office so far. While he's arguably one of the most talented guys to ever work for Propaganda Films, his career since 2002's "One Hour Photo," featuring one of the best performances in Robin Williams's career, has been a slow-motion attempt to make smart films that just didn't quite come together. His third film was 2010's "Never Let Me Go," and it's a gorgeous, crushingly sad movie that was a hard sell for general audiences.
He needs a hit, and in terms of sure bets, there are few things that seem more sure than the third Robert Langdon film from novelist Dan Brown. After all, both "The Da Vinci Code" and "Angels and Demons" made a ton of money without the terrible burden of actually being good films, and the third book in the series may be the worst one. "The Lost Symbol" is moving ahead anyway, and Tom Hanks is expected to not only return to the role but also to come up with a third haircut for the character. Deadline's got Romanek as the front-runner for the director's job right now, but it's not a done deal yet.
If this does happen, then good for Romanek. I haven't seen the pilot he shot for "Locke and Key," but I think he needs to get one big fat commercial success under his belt so someone will gamble on something more personal for him. His voice is too strong and too smart to be sidelined like this, and I hope this does the trick, freeing him up to get some worthwhile projects off the ground.
News From Our Partners
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013
Can this series really survive the loss of Justin Lin?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Plus how devoted do you have to be to be called a 'Trekkkie'?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Will he be heading out on a new adventure soon?Tuesday, May 14, 2013