Listen: The Motion/Captured Podcast with James Gunn and Rainn Wilson from 'Super'
A round of Movie God with our guests gets very, very interesting
South By Southwest was a blur for me this year.
I need to figure out some foolproof way to stay healthy on the road. I'm going to guess that packing on a trip to Area 51 right before I head to Austin for a week of sleepless nights isn't the best plan I've ever had, because holy cow did I get sick at the end of the festival.
Thankfully I was still in good shape when I joined Rainn Wilson and James Gunn onstage to moderate the panel on their new film "Super." And with those two, "moderate" really just means, "Ask a few questions that aren't totally stupid, then get out of the way." They're both very entertaining guys, and together, they've got a really fun energy. It's obvious they enjoyed working together, and that they're both proud of the film they've made.
I saw and reviewed the film out of last year's Toronto Film Festival, and the more I've thought about it, the more the things I like outweigh the things I didn't. It's so crazy, and it has such a strong sense of voice, and it features some remarkably devoted performances by Wilson, Ellen Page, Kevin Bacon, and more. Sitting down with them after our panel, we had a half-hour conversation that featured a great round of Movie God.
At the start of the week, I had Scott Swan over, and we sat down to talk about this week in home video and to introduce the Wilson/Gunn interview, and it was a great, loose chat. When I'm on the road, I don't talk to Scott often, so it's nice that we have this excuse to catch up on the air.
Here's a breakdown for this episode, in case you want to fast-forward right to something:
00:00 - 7:15: Introduction
7:15 - 15:15: Does Brian De Palma need his own Leonardo Di Caprio?
15:15 - 18:55 : What is James Gunn's "Super"?
18:55 - 47:45 : James Gunn and Rainn Wilson interview at SXSW
1:07:00 - 1:10:48 - Wrapping it up
There's another podcast coming on Thursday of this week, and in that one, we'll have an interview with the director of the new film, "Rubber." Big week of podcasting, and I hope it's worth the wait.
The Motion/Captured Podcast S2E4: Rainn Wilson and James Gunn are 'Super'
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013
Let's see what sort of boners fall out of Tobias's mouth this timeTuesday, May 21, 2013
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013
Plus he describes how he's like his character in the filmsMonday, May 20, 2013