'Kick-Ass 2' may have a home at Universal and a new director
Matthew Vaughn will supervise, and hopefully the full cast will return
I'm really surprised that Matthew Vaughn's willing to let someone else play with his toys.
After all, "Kick-Ass" wasn't just some studio gig he got hired for that was going to happen with or without his involvement. He chose to make the film outside the studio system because he knew it wasn't going to be easy to convince people to let him do certain things like cast a real 12 year old to play Hit Girl or keep the extreme attitude of the thing.
As Mark Millar's been publishing "Kick-Ass 2" over the last year or so, the question has been raised many times about whether or not there would be a movie sequel. Every time I ran into a member of the cast of the original, they seemed absolutely ready to jump back in and return to these characters. Chris Mintz-Plasse in particular seemed hungry to play the villain this time, and he seemed excited by where the character had gone on the comics.
Now, according to reports, Universal may well step in as the home for "Kick-Ass 2," and while Matthew Vaughn's MARV Films remains in control of the material, Vaughn and his screenwriting partner Jane Goldman are not going to be hands-on in quite the same way this time.
They're focused right now on getting a sequel to "X-Men: First Class" ready so as soon as Jennifer Lawrence finishes with "Catching Fire," the "Hunger Games" sequel, she'll be able to jump right into playing Mystique again. When you're dealing with this sort of franchise filmmaking with this many cast members who are all in demand, you don't always have a lot of options for when things are going to start, and so you make the choices you can.
In this case, it looks like Jeff Wadlow is going to write and direct the sequel. I'm not going to pretend some sort of long-lasting love of his earlier films like "Never Back Down" or "Cry Wolf," and I'm curious what it was that got him the job. Whatever it is, being tapped to both write and direct suggests that his take on the film was compelling to MARV Films, since he's been onboard for a while now. This wasn't a Universal hire… this is the person that Vaughn personally handed things off to, and I'm certainly curious to see what vision he has for this return to the uber-violent world of "Kick-Ass."
We'll have more on this as plans come together, and we're certainly hoping for something great.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
9 days ago
28 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013