Kevin Costner cracks a whip in Tarantino's 'Django Unchained'
Easy-going actor signs on for truly despicable role
By now, I've learned to have faith regarding Quentin Tarantino and his casting. I may not love the choice of Jamie Foxx for Django, the lead in his upcoming movie "Django Unchained," but I understand that there were more factors that went into it than just "Hey, let me hire anybody I feel like hiring." The only thing that scared me about Foxx when he was announced is that we haven't really seen him play period like this before, and he's such a thoroughly modern guy that it is hard for me to imagine.
Kevin Costner, though? Man, that's perfect.
I am actively anticipating what happens when "Django Unchained" is released, because it is the single most incendiary thing Tarantino's ever written, and a damn good story besides. It's one thing to provoke, and that's easy. But when you create great characters, spin a great yarn, and you manage to provoke at the same time, that's something special, and that's exactly what it feels like "Django Unchained" is going to pull off.
I'm not exactly sure when it became cool to hate Kevin Costner, but you can count me out of that particular hipster affectation. I like Costner precisely because he's got a taste for earnest, resolutely un-cynical material, and I like him both as a performer and a director. I am thrilled that he's got a big 2012 on the books now with his role as Pa Kent in Zack Snyder's "Man Of Steel" and now with the role of Ace Woody, a truly vile and wretched human being, in "Django Unchained."
Ace Woody works for Calvin Candie (Leonardo Di Caprio), who owns a club and a plantation dedicated to the pit fighting of slaves. Ace Woody is the guy who trains the biggest "mandingo" slaves as fighters, and he's a despicable character. It's a smaller role, but it's exactly the kind of supporting character that good actors can make a meal of, and I think Costner's going to dig in with both hands.
It's exciting enough just knowing there's a new Tarantino film coming, but this film in particular and the cast that he's putting together? It strikes me as reason to celebrate, and I can't wait for the finished product.
"Django Unchained" is set for release December 25, 2012.
News From Our Partners
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013