'John Carter Of Mars' starting to come into focus
Casting and location news raises some interesting questions
So I guess Christian Bale's denial was accurate, eh?
Look, I've seen the first season of "Friday Night Lights," and I think Taylor Kitsch did a really solid job as Tim Riggins, local bad boy and football star. I guess I'm just a little nonplussed to see Andrew Stanton cast a guy Kitsch's age in the role. I've always pictured John Carter as a man in the most basic definition of the word. Rugged. Battle-hardened. Older. To be fair, though, he was perpetually 30 years old, no matter what happened. Something about his travel to and from Mars kept him the same age while his family grew old around him. So Kitsch isn't wrong as far as age. He's not 6'2" with jet-black hair, though, but I'm not going to be the guy who pitches a fit based on a mere physical description. If he convinced Stanton that he's the guy, then I'm willing to wait and see how it plays onscreen.
As far as Lynn Collins is concerned, her work on "True Blood" would suggest that she's got at least two of the primary qualifications for the role as Dejah Thoris, and I'm not just making a sleazy sex joke, either. As Edgar Rice Burroughs originally described her, she spent most of her time topless, and Collins certainly seemed happy to do the same on "True Blood." I didn't really care for her work in "Wolverine," but it was a thankless role that wasn't really her fault. Maybe she's great. Maybe she absolutely killed in the audition.
[more after the jump]
The other news that broke this week is that Utah appears to be the spot that the production has chosen to stand in for Mars when filming starts later this year. Having just served as Vulcan for the latest "Star Trek," Utah's getting excited about the possibility of a film as big as "John Carter Of Mars" shooting there, particularly since it could kick off a whole series of movies if it works.
The big question for me is how Stanton plans to bring the rest of Mars to life. When Harry Knowles was a producer on the project, I saw a ton of the pre-production work that he did with Rodriguez and Favreau and a small army of some of the best production illustrators around. And it is, without a doubt, one of the most demanding properties in terms of bringing it all to live-action life. And since this is Stanton's live-action debut, I'm going to give him credit for taking a chance. If it works, "John Carter Of Mars" could be spectacular, and if it doesn't, it's going to make that 80-something years of development look like a lot of wasted time.
So... you know... no pressure, guys.
We'll have more on "John Carter Of Mars" as it moves forward.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013