JJ Abrams and 'Zombieland' writers team up for 'Micronauts' movie
Now what the heck are they supposed to do?
It should not come as a surprise to anyone that Hasbro wants to keep making new movies based on their toy and game products. After all, "Transformers 3" looks to be one of the highest-grossing films of the year, and they've had pretty good luck so far in their relationship with Hollywood.
The "Micronauts" property has passed through many hands over the years. I remember having a conversation with Gale Anne Hurd's company about the material years ago when they were looking for a writer, and the thing that struck me as we looked through the materials they offered us was that this is even less of a fully-realized concept or world than something like "Transformers," and whoever does finally turn this into a film is going to have an uphill battle to figure out what story they're telling.
I guess it's a good thing they've got JJ Abrams producing and Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese onboard as screenwriters.
Right now, Wernick and Reese are about as hot as writers can be. "Zombieland" was well-liked and a solid success, and their script for "G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation" is currently in front of the cameras in New Orleans. They also worked on the "Deadpool" movie that Fox is hoping to make with Ryan Reynolds starring and Tim Miller directing. So Paramount appears to be doubling down on the writers, having only recently closed the deal to buy the rights to "Micronauts" from Hasbro, who picked them up in 2009 from Takara, a Japanese toy company that originally created the toys and sold them under the name "Microman." I remember the original Mego toys that they sold in the US, and I remember the various attempts that have been made at turning the property into a bigger mythology through comic books, including a line from Marvel.
Overall, I still don't even fully understand what "Micronauts" is about, and I don't think this has the same sort of established fanbase as something like "G.I. Joe" or "Transformers". I think it's a name that people of a certain age might recognize, but I don't believe that this is going to be a case where they have to stick to something that's previous established. There's a wide open field here for Abrams, Wernick, and Reese to take whatever it is that already exists and just build something new of their own. They're smart guys, so hopefully they see something in the property that I don't, and here's hoping whatever they come up with is exciting.
News From Our Partners
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
The director's next film promises to be packed with talentSunday, May 19, 2013
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013