Jay Chou set as Kato for Michel Gondry's 'The Green Hornet'
Taiwanese superstar suits up as Seth Rogen's new sidekick
Back in February, there were rumors circulating that Jay Chou was potentially going to play Bruce Lee for Wong Kar Wai in a biopic called "The Grand Master." I don't remember any resolution to that buzz, but I'm guessing it did not come to pass, since Chou was just announced this morning as Michel Gondry's pick to step into the role of Kato, the sidekick to Seth Rogen's character in "The Green Hornet," due out next year.
Chou was very good in Zhang Yimou's "The Curse Of The Golden Flower" a few years back, and even though "Initial D" is sort of empty calories/"Fast & The Furious" nonsense, Chou had a teen pin-up movie star charisma in it that was apparent. According to the press release that went out about the film, it was putting Chou side-by-side with Rogen that finally convinced Gondry, which is as it should be. That seems to me to be the ultimate test... we have to like them as a pair, and not just as individual actors.
I'm glad to see the film continue to move towards production, which is slated for the fall, and I'm growing more curious every day about just what Gondry plans to bring to the film visually. I like that I have no investment whatsoever in the character or the iconography. I don't care what they do to it, how they bend or change it, or if they're remotely faithful. That's nice, since it means that I'll just react to the final film, and not my own personal fanboy baggage.
[more after the jump]
Here's Gondry at Comic-Con, talking about the film:
And here's Rogen, offering up his perspective:
The movie's set for release July 9, 2010.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013