Sam Jackson suggests there will be a 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' movie after 'The Avengers'
That's what star Samuel L. Jackson claims
This just makes good sense. After all, Samuel L. Jackson was one of the first people famously signed to a nine-picture deal by Marvel Studios, and his Nick Fury character is one of the lynchpins of the larger Marvel Universe.
In an appearance this week on RadioBigBoy, Jackson talked about the extended deal he's got with the studio and how busy it's going to keep him for the next few years. He confirmed that he will be appearing in "Captain America," but not "Thor," which we knew. He talks about how he'll be in "The Avengers" for the summer after that, which we also knew.
What was interesting was the news that we're going to be getting a "S.H.I.E.L.D." movie the year after "The Avengers."
It's not the most surprising thing to hear. I'm curious to see how you build a movie around S.H.I.E.L.D. that's different from "The Avengers," but when you spend time building out these characters, film after film, why not use them? Why not create a vehicle specifically for them?
The most interesting thing about the way they're building all these movies is that Samuel L. Jackson is the ground zero, the character who ties all of these other characters together, and at 62 years old, he looks better than he ever has and he's finally playing the comic book leads that men half his age would love to play. He has already made the role of Nick Fury his in a very permanent way, embracing the iconic design and investing him with a swagger ("I'm the realest person that you're ever gonna meet!") that makes him seem like the puppet master pulling all the strings in the Marvel Universe, and that's before we ever see Nick Fury in action.
From what I've heard, I'd expect him to have his largest role in the Marvel Universe yet when he does "Captain America," and then he's playing a near-lead in "The Avengers." That film is on track to be the biggest thing that Marvel Studios has ever made in terms of scale, and I doubt a "S.H.I.E.L.D." movie would be the same sort of scope. Instead, could that end up being the film that is used to lay down a secret history of this onscreen world they're building? Could it be the film where we see how Fury and his team (which may well include The Black Widow and Agent Coulson, the only two S.H.I.E.L.D. members we've met so far) take care of all the problems no one else knows how to address?
Whatever the case, I'm curious to see what Marvel has to say about Sam's statements, and I'm sure we won't hear any official announcements on something like this for a while. When we do, we'll have that for you right here at HitFix.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013