'Human Centipede 2: Full Sequence' to open Fantastic Fest
Morgan Spurlock doc 'Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope' making U.S. debut
Get the family together and start making plans for a road trip to Austin -- the influential genre-embracing Fantastic Fest has announced its final wave of feature films, and the world premiere of "The Human Centipede 2: Full Sequence" has been selected as the opening night film.
The first "Human Centipede" -- engrossing for some, just plain gross for others -- premiered at the Texas event in 2009, winning awards for Best Horror Film and Best Actor (Dieter Laser). Director Tom Six and producer Ilona Six will attend to talk about the film in what's sure to be an animated discussion. But the gross-out fun won't stop there -- the opening night party will include live music from The Charles Edward Cheese Band and an attempt to break the world record for the longest human centipede conga line.
The fest will close with the U.S. premiere of "Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope," directed by Morgan Spurlock ("Super Size Me"), which will be presented by Aint It Cool's Harry Knowles, Marvel legend Stan Lee and "Avengers" director Joss Whedon. The documentary follows five fans as they explore the insane geekery of Comic-Con.
French thriller "Livid," the latest from the directors of "Inside," will also be making its U.S. premiere at the event. "Dead Snow" director Syversen Patrik returns with "You Said What?" He'll be on hand for a Q&A after the screening. The director and stars of "The Chaser" reunite for "The Yellow Sea," getting its regional premiere at Fantastic Fest. Then there's the regional premiere of Brazilian actioner "Elite Squad: The Enemy Within," from director Jose Padillha. He's signed on to helm the upcoming "RoboCop" remake.
Two world premieres speak for themselves: "Manborg" and "Zombie Ass."
Among the festival's other U.S. premieres are "A Boy and his Samurai," "Bunohan," "Carre Blanc" (with director Jean-Baptiste Léonetti on hand), "The Day" (with producer Guy Danella and actor Dominic Monaghan live), Cuban zombie film "Juan of the Dead" (director Alejandro Brugues and producer Gervasio Iglesias Macias will attend), horror film "Last Screening," "Retreat," "Sleepless Night," "Smuggler," "Two Eyes Staring" and "Urban Explorer."
Special screenings include John Landis' classic 1981 horror-comedy "An American Werewolf in London," with iconic makeup effects master Rick Baker and poster artist Olly Moss attending the screening.
Other films being screened include "Clown," "The Devil's Business," "The Holding," the 3D "Julia X" (with Kevin Sorbo!), "Karate Robo Zaborgar," "The Loved Ones," "Polvora Negra," "Rabies," "Sennentuntschi: Curse of the Alps," "How to Steal 2 Milion" and "Take Shelter."
Previously announced films include Lars Von Trier's controversial "Melancholia," Lucio Fulci's cult classic "Zombie," a tenth anniversary screening of the Japanese film "Versus," documentary "Movies on Fire: Hong Kong Action Classics," and dozens of short films.
This year's fest runs September 22 - 29 at the city's famed Alamo Drafthouse Cinema.
Get more information at the festival's site here.
News From Our Partners
- Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video] Oreo 'Wonderfilled' Ad – What's the Song?
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013