HitFix and Ain't It Cool present our first joint screening at The New Beverly
'Ishtar' and 'Joe Vs The Volcano' at a criminally underrated double-bill
THIS IS A REPOST TO REMIND YOU!
This Wednesday and Thursday night, Ain't It Cool News and HitFix are teaming up with the awesome New Beverly Cinema to present a double-feature of films that do not deserve the bad reputation they got when they were first released. Mr. Beaks, aka Jeremy Smith, is going to be presenting the hilarious "Ishtar," and I plan on singing along with every single one of the insane Paul Williams songs in the film. Afterwards, I'll be presenting "Joe Vs. The Volcano," John Patrick Shanley's romantic and silly story of a man, a brain cloud, and three suspiciously similar women.
That's April 1st and 2nd, but it's not a joke. We really are screening these films at 7:30 and 9:40, and they really do deserve your respect. I find it infuriating when a movie comes out, makes no money, and yet everyone decides that they hate it, even though no one saw it. It's okay to call a film that fails financially a "bomb" in financial terms, but how can there be a public concensus if no one sees the film? How does that group think set in?
I know that with "Ishtar," a lot of it was because of the various reports of out-of-control budget before the film was released. For some reason, the press decided that they were going to freak out on behalf of every single dollar spent, sight unseen. And with "Joe," it baffles me how the combination of Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, box-office magic every other time it happened, did absolutely nothing to help push this romantic fairy tale into the public eye.
I hope to see you at one of the double-features, and if there's a good turn-out, maybe we can present even more screenings at this great venue in the months to come.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
The director's next film promises to be packed with talentSunday, May 19, 2013
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013