Fox moves 'Prometheus' to summer 2012 as Michael Fassbender joins cast
Giant SF films will not go head-to-head after all
Just looking at next year's release schedule and the passionate battles being fought over release date real estate is already giving me a headache.
I get it. 2012 is going to be a huge year, especially if you're a mainstream genre nerd. Each and every weekend will be carefully scrutinized, and there are some giant gambles the studios are making, and they want to make sure that they've got room for their films to find their audiences.
When the story broke recently that Ridley Scott will be making "Prometheus," the film that evolved out of what was once a prequel to "Alien," 20th Century Fox also announced a release date of March 9, 2012. That part of the year has become a fairly important date for the studios, and once Fox had claimed the date, suddenly Disney announced that they'll be releasing "John Carter Of Mars" on the exact same day.
So it shouldn't be a huge surprise to see that "Prometheus" has now moved, and it's sort of funny that they'd be heading to June 8, 2012 instead, since that is the date "John Carter" used to have.
It looks like Fox is getting into the Michael Fassbender business in a big way, betting on him as the young Magneto in 'X-Men First Class' and now also casting him as an android for "Prometheus."
No matter what, every weekend is going to be a battle next year. I'm glad Fox moved the film, though. It seems suicidal to me for two giant studio SF films to try to compete for the same exact three days, when I know I plan to see both of those films. I assume the audience in general would be interested in both. Why cannibalize your own business by engaging in that sort of direct head-to-head combat?
I'm not sure what direct competition they'll have, but it looks like "Prometheus" will land sometime between "The Avengers" and the new "Spider-Man" film. It'll be one big giant summer… so let's hope the films live up to that.
News From Our Partners
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013