Four new 'Iron Man 2' clips highlight the Black Widow, Whiplash, and the suitcase suit
See Mickey Rourke in action and Sam Rockwell crank up the sleaze
There is only a little over a week until "Iron Man 2" hits theaters, and I'm excited for people to finally lay eyes on what Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. and all of their collaborators have put together for issue two of this big-screen comic series.
I've already heard some complaints from fellow journalists who saw it last week when I did, many of them upset that this film doesn't have the same "wow" for them as the first one. I think they forget how everyone was skeptical about the need for an "Iron Man" movie in the first place, making the first one a huge mainstream surprise. That's something you can never duplicate with a second film, so it seems like the wrong thing to get hung up on, in my opinion.
If "Iron Man" was the surprise out of nowhere for most people, then "Iron Man 2" is the victory lap that they absolutely deserve to take, and today, there are four new clips available that give you a good look at the tone and attitude and, yes, scope of what Marvel Studios is about to unleash.
There's been a fair amount of speculation about how Scarlett Johansson's character would end up interacting with Tony Stark in the film, and how she ties in to SHIELD and the larger "Avengers" plan that Marvel's building bit by bit right now. Without spoiling the fun, let's take a look at her introduction in the film.
By the way... next time I upgrade my home computer, I want whatever system it is that Stark's using when he Googles "Natalie Rushman" after being introduced to her:
You can see a larger version of the clip here if you'd like. And you really should see the end of that scene, which gives away a bit more about who this "girl from legal" really is.
Sam Rockwell plays a creepy mirror version of Tony Stark in his role as Justin Hammer in this film, and this next clip shows a little of the chemistry he has with Downey in the film, while also serving up a nice callback to the first movie in the form of some very pointed comments from both Stark and Pepper Potts:
Again, if you want to see a larger version of the clip, you can.
Here's some action for you, a taste from the first big showdown between Whiplash and Iron Man in the film. I think Whiplash is a great bad guy for this series. I'm always a fan of someone taking the hero's strength and turning it back against them, and I think they found the exact right way to do it for this one:
Looks like fun, eh? Check out the larger version of the clip if you want.
And then finally, we've got one last bit from the film, and you've heard a lot of this dialogue in the trailers for the movie. Whiplash has been captured, and Tony Stark steps into a prison cell to try and figure out who this man is and why he attacked him in public:
You can check out the larger version of that clip as well, and then you can see "Iron Man 2" in theaters starting May 7. I'll have my review of the film here on HitFix very soon, as well as interviews and more as we count down to the release, so check back for tons of great "Iron Man 2" coverage in the next two weeks.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- CBS Fall 2013: 'Intelligence' Extended Trailer Evokes 'Chuck' For Grown-Ups Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble': Producers Explain Movie Tie-In, Plus New Clip! 'Hannibal' Review: "Trou Normand"
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Scoop: 'Callie Isn't A Victim' 'Supernatural's' Surprising Ratings Victory Three Years Later, People Are Still Livid About 'Lost'
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013