First 'Skyfall' videoblog suggests Sam Mendes is a lifelong James Bond fan
Want a quick glimpse of Daniel Craig as 007?
If you haven't picked up on it yet, I'm a little bit excited about "Skyfall."
It's a year where there are some big and significant franchise films coming out, including "The Avengers" and "The Hobbit" and "The Dark Knight Rises," and of all of them, the one that I have to admit has me most worked up and flustered and desperate for information about is "Skyfall."
I like what the Daniel Craig years have brought to the James Bond series, and I think they can do anything right now. They're not painted into any corners. They haven't done anything in "Casino Royale" and "Quantum Of Solace" that prevents them from going pretty much anywhere with the storytelling at this point. There's a lot of groundwork laid in those two films, but to what end?
I think the key here in terms of my excitement is Sam Mendes, who I think is a talented guy whose films don't necessarily fully reflect his skills. The attitude he's been expressing since coming on-board here, combined with what I've heard about him as a Bond fan in general, has me thinking that the producers picked the right guy to handle the 50th anniversary James Bond movie, and that there's something special in the works for us this year.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
I like that they're learning a little bit more each time out, setting more of the iconography in place. It feels like the early days of Connery all over again, when they were really putting together the things that would carry the series, that would make it so wildly popular the world over. There's a big reinvention going on, and so far, so good. They've actually succeeded at making Craig's Bond stand alone, with a story that is his, not particularly tied back to what we've seen before. Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan, Timothy Dalton, Sean Connery, and George Lazenby were all technically playing the same guy, but I don't think that's true of Craig. His is the first time where it feels like they did a hard reboot, even with Dench carrying over from Brosnan to Craig. Everything else feels like they started over, like this is the story now. Vesper defines him again, the way she did in the book series. She is the ghost that he's not going to shake, and if they do this right and Craig makes a few more, maybe we'll even meet Tracy Bond again, just about the time James is starting to believe he's bulletproof again. And maybe they'll break him.
Or maybe they won't do any of that. But the point is that they've opened up an array of possibilities and that's what makes it exciting again to be a Bond fan. That's why this is the thing I'm crazy for over some of those other franchise pictures. I hope all of those are good, but this one… I need this one to work. I feel like they've got so much going for them, and it would be really heartbreaking for it to not come together. And so even though this first videoblog for "Skyfall" is only two minutes long or so, it's enough to whet my appetite. Just a little. Just enough:
I hope that the video blogs get a little more in-depth if they're going to do these. I don't need story points, but it would be nice to see a little bit more of how they're shooting and where. I think it's interesting that Mendes has never made a film at home, and what better way to return to the UK than with a James Bond film?
"Skyfall" will open in theaters in the US on November 9, 2012.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
14 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013
Let's see what sort of boners fall out of Tobias's mouth this timeTuesday, May 21, 2013
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013
Plus he describes how he's like his character in the filmsMonday, May 20, 2013