First 'Immortals' trailer promises Gods, Mickey Rourke, and Superman
Magic and mayhem makes this look like a wild ride through mythology
It is easy to compare this first trailer for "Immortals" to "300," and it's made easier by trumpeting the fact that the same producers are responsible.
Beyond those surface similarities, though, "Immortals" looks like a super-powered take on mythology that shows just how close our own modern comic book stories are to these tales rooted in an ancient tradition, and that's not at all what "300" was about. And as much as some people want to claim that Zack Snyder invented slow-motion and half-naked men, that is not entirely true. I see a a clear through-line from his music videos to "The Cell" to "The Fall" to what we see in this trailer, and I think we're in for something really unusual here.
When I moderated the panel for this film at WonderCon, I walked in knowing nothing. They showed me this trailer three or four times before we went onstage, and then we showed it twice as part of the panel. And watching it a few times like that, I'm most impressed by the way magic has been handled in this footage. The same way I feel that superheroes have traditionally been let down by the limitations of what is physically possible on film, our archetypes from mythology have rarely been allowed to be as mighty and powerful as they were written, and that's been one of those things that has nagged at me on some level since I was a kid.
Now, finally, we are in an age where what you can realize onscreen is limited only by time, money, and imagination, and if you've got plenty of all three, I want to see things I've never seen before. I want to see things I know are blatantly impossible, larger-than-life action that involves powers beyond human capability. And "Immortals" looks to have plenty of that.
Obviously I'd love for this film to work emotionally first, and that's one of those things no trailer can show. But on a visual level, I love the look of the combat here and the hyper-stylized look of the world, and for now, I am onboard. I want to see more of this one, and look forward to seeing what Tarsem and his cast and crew have all pulled off.
"Immortals" opens on November 11, 2011.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
The director's next film promises to be packed with talentSunday, May 19, 2013
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013