Trailer Premiere: Mike Judge's 'Extract' starring Jason Bateman, Mila Kunis and Ben Affleck
The latest movie from the creator of 'Office Space' and 'Beavis and Butt-head'
I was sent some information about "Extract" this morning, including the following, which is the official synopsis:
"Extract" is the latest comedy from writer/director Mike Judge ("Office Space, "King of the Hill," "Beavis and Butt-Head"). Joel, played by Jason Bateman, is one step away from selling his flavor extract factory and retiring to easy street when a freak workplace accident sets in motion a series of disasters that put his business and personal life in jeopardy. The film also stars Kristen Wiig, Mila Kunis, and Ben Affleck.
Sounds pretty good to me. And now, thanks to the fine folks over at Miramax, we've got your first look at the first trailer for the film. This should be airing on "Entertainment Tonight" this evening, but we've got a version for you that we guarantee is 100% annoying Mary Hart voiceover free.
[check out the trailer after the jump]
I love that Miramax is already putting out trailers and posters for this one, and I'll tell you why: it suggests that maybe Mike Judge isn't going to get boned this time. I think both of his live-action features are very good and deserved a wider audience. "Office Space" found some success on home video, and that's good to see, but "Idiocracy" is still the bastard child of Judge's career, and that's a shame. Fox had no idea what to do with the film, and even when they finally did release it, it was in a few theaters, and there was absolutely no marketing money spent on it.
I've seen a few people saying that releasing this one in the gap between the summer movies and the big fall releases suggests that Miramax is "dumping" the film. I'd argue the opposite. This isn't a giant movie with giant set pieces and giant stars. This is a small character comedy from a cult-friendly filmmaker, a guy who has never had a huge success in live-action. It's April, and we're already seeing a poster and a trailer and some effort to create some awareness. That's not a dump by any definition. In fact, it looks like finally someone is doing their part to actually sell a Mike Judge movie. And that is a huge step in the right direction.
So what do you guys think of the trailer? Interested yet?
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly Interview: Katie Aselton on going from mumblecore to thriller—and directing her own nude scenes TV Roundtable: Boobies, pee-pees, codependence, and grounding the shenanigans with heart
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS
- Please Watch New 'Arrested Development' In Order & Not At Once From 'Idol' Contestants To Judges? From 'Unfabulous' To 'American Horror Story'
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead
Two of the supporting characters from the trilogy weigh in on saying goodbyeWednesday, May 22, 2013
Simon Pegg is still jumping fencesWednesday, May 22, 2013
As the series shifts focus and winds down, we talk to the main trio about returning one last timeWednesday, May 22, 2013
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013