EXCLUSIVE: Disney will set sail for 'Pirates of the Caribbean' 5 & 6 back-to-back
But with a busy Johnny Depp, when will the sequels happen?
After the surprise success of "Pirates Of The Caribbean: Curse Of The Black Pearl," Disney quickly put a plan in place to create two sequels back-to-back. Gore Verbinski directed both of the sequels, and I spent time with him during the editing of both pictures.
Towards the very end of post-production on "At World's End," we spoke at the ADR stages, and I've never seen someone who looked more tired. He was so exhausted that Disney wouldn't allow him to drive himself anywhere. And when he got those films across the finish line, it didn't surprise me at all that he just kind of dropped off the radar for a little while. It's an unreal amount of work to pull off something like that.
Without Verbinski directing the fourth film in the series, and without Dick Cook at Disney to help shepherd the film, the prospect of "Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" seemed daunting at first, but eventually, Disney hired Rob Marshall, and they've wrapped photography on the film now. My guess is that things went very, very well, better than Disney even expected.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Because HitFix can now exclusively report that Disney has begun quietly telling cast and crew to set aside a major block of time in the very near future so they can shoot "Pirates 5" and "Pirates 6." And, yes, once again, they will be shooting them back-to-back as one giant film, and then they'll release them as two films.
It's a bold plan. Doing it once is risky, and that risk absolutely paid off for Disney in the long run. But "Pirates 4" is already the single highest greenlight budget of all time, and it must look like the only sound way to get another trilogy out of the franchise, shooting two films together. At this point, I don't think there's any doubt that Captain Jack Sparrow will be the defining role of Johnny Depp's career.
We know he's committed to "Dark Shadows" and "The Lone Ranger" for 2011, so that raises the question of when they'll shoot these sequels. A shoot like that could take the better part of a year, but the great part about shooting in Hawaii is that you can easily shoot right through the winter. It's December 2, and I'm sitting here in my hotel room in Waikiki with the balcony door open, and it's a lovely 70-something degrees. I have a feeling Disney will want to get Depp back in his "Pirates" duds as soon as he's done playing Tonto for them, but I can't swear to the schedule.
What is certain at this point is that there's a whole lot more Jack Sparrow in our future, and that Disney considers this one of their most important properties. I'm curious to see if they reach out to buy more material like the Tim Powers book that is the source material for "On Stranger Tides," or if they're going to try to get Rossio and Elliott to build the next two chapters of the franchise from scratch.
Either way, I'm sure we'll start hearing more about these sequels during the promotional push for "Pirates 4," and I am curious to see what sort of waters Disney will steer this ship into in the future.
"Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" will open in theaters everywhere May 20, 2011.
News From Our Partners
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
Can this series really survive the loss of Justin Lin?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Plus how devoted do you have to be to be called a 'Trekkkie'?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Will he be heading out on a new adventure soon?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
An interview with one of the most exciting young filmmakers workingTuesday, May 14, 2013