Ed Helms discusses how much further 'The Hangover Part II' goes this time around
An informal moment turns into a major tease for the megasequel
PARK CITY - We're going to be bringing you a sit-down interview I did with three of the actors from "Cedar Rapids" closer to the release of the film, but I can share with you the conversation I had with Ed Helms before we started.
It wasn't planned, so I didn't grab the audio of it, but the way the interview was set up, i was the first one seated so they could mic me. Helms came in next and sat down, and as they were putting his mic on, I mentioned that first "Hangover Part II" photo that appeared last week, and how much his new facial tattoo made me laugh.
As soon as I mentioned the image, Helms leaned forward, excited to talk about the movie. "You know there are a few other photos out there now, too, right?" I told him I had seen those as well, but the monkey one was the clearest indication of some of the differences we could expect this time around. He smiled when I said that. "Oh, no. This one's nothing like the first one." His smile got even bigger, and he repeated, "Nothing."
I asked him how it changed the dynamic shooting in Bangkok, and he said there was absolutely no comparison. In Vegas, you're a few hours from Los Angeles. You're staying in luxury hotels. Even the craziest places they shot in Vegas were still places in Vegas. By contrast, Helms admitted that the Bangkok shoot, which was four full months, was basically the comedy version of "Apocalypse Now," always on the edge of total chaos, shooting in places Helms said felt genuinely "unsafe."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
That's fascinating to me, because even if I wasn't crazy about "Due Date," I like Phillips, and I think the success of "The Hangover" affected him in an interesting way. I think he feels like he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone except himself on this sequel, and it was him who insisted on the specific version of the title because of how much he loves "The Godfather Part II." Roman numerals and all.
"That's a little weird, though," said Helms, "because with 'The Godfather Part II,' that was a direct continuation of the story, and it's very much a sequel. This is so different in a lot of ways that I feel like…" He tried to figure out how to sum it up. "It's just a different level of what happens this time around. And I like that it's been real time between the movies. The time that really happened between the release of the first film and the release of the new one… that's how much time it's been between the events in the movies. And once we're overseas, once we're in Thailand, it's just…" And again, all he could do was shake his head, beaming at whatever mayhem they've put together.
Helms called it a demanding shoot, but he seems really proud of whatever it is they've concocted. The best thing about the conversation was knowing this isn't salesman I'm at the junket mode. This is just a guy who was pleased with the way something came together, happy to talk about it, and happy that people are starting to get a look at it, even if it's just a few stills.
"There are definitely things in this one that are moments that are there for fans of the first film, but we also go to such different places, and each of us has a different experience this time. I think it's going to surprise people."
Based on that last smile he gave me before we rolled tape to talk about "Cedar Rapids," I'm betting he's right about that.
"The Hangover Part II" will be in theaters May 26, 2011.
[Editor's note: Check out Helms talking about his new movie 'Cedar Rapids' at the world premiere this weekend in Park City.]
News From Our Partners
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013