Dwayne Johnson reportedly in talks to play 'Hercules' for MGM and Ratner
Could this finally be the franchise fit the actor's looking for?
I'm going to post that new "Wrath Of The Titans" trailer in a few, but it's interesting that this would show up on the same day that Variety breaks the news that Dwayne Johnson is going to star in "Big Duh: The Motion Picture." Wait… sorry… it's "Hercules." That's what he's starring in. That's what he was genetically created to do, truth be told, so it's good that MGM and Brett Ratner are figuring his deal out.
That's a great break for Ratner, and I think he's going to probably be a good collaborator for Johnson, whose "Team Bring It" attitude travels from set to set with him. I've seen him work on what must be four or five films in a row now, and he sets a certain energy that everyone else keys in on. Dwayne Johnson is a major asset to a franchise if the franchise has any juice at all. He is a big part of what went right with "Fast Five," and he's absolutely at the heart of the "G.I. Joe" reboot.
Even "Journey 2" gets what little mileage it gets out of him, because he's always working when he's in a scene, always trying to find something to make it work. He's as dedicated to the little stuff as he is to the big stunt work. He's an old-fashioned movie star who understands his own image, and he's been very canny so far about how he's played with his iconography.
It's little wonder people want to tackle material like Hercules and Greek mythology right now. FX are at a point where the wondrous is commonplace (a cultural issue we're going to have to deal with at some point) and these are characters and stories that belong to the public domain, but that carry a huge cumulative recognition factor. This is why we've got two "Snow White" movies this year. This is why we'll see "Jack The Giant Killer" and "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" and any number of other fairy tale spins. You can keep bending these archetypes any number of different ways, and it's interesting and exciting because of people's familiarity with the thing.
This particular take is said to be based on the Radical Comics series "Hercules: The Thracian Wars," with Ryan Condal adapting Steve Moore's book. It's much more "300" than "The Scorpion King," and I'm not surprised to see that this sort of approach is what Johnson would want to do. He's been trying on all these different franchises because he still hasn't found the one that's the perfect fit. He's trying a lot of different things with a lot of different filmmakers right now. I'm fascinated by Michael Bay's "Pain and Gain," which is sure to be different than anything else in the director's filmography, and I look forward to seeing what they do with him and Vin Diesel and that huge rolling ensemble for "Fast Six," or whatever they finally call it.
We'll see how fast this comes together. Obviously, Johnson's a busy guy, but since he seems to always be on the move, this could turn out to be one of the 86 different feature films he makes this year.
We'll keep you posted.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
11 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013