David Cronenberg is remaking 'The Fly' remake by David Cronenberg... again
Check your calendars, 'cause it feels like 1986 to me
Full disclosure: about four years ago, I went in and took a series of meetings about possibly rewriting "The Fly." At that point, the original short story by George Langelaan was Fox's main interest. They wanted to start there and then build something that was radically different than either the 1958 film or the 1986 film.
So of course, today, in an effort to guarantee that they don't do anything remotely similar to either of those films, they hired David Cronenberg to direct the new version.
I'm not automatically opposed to the idea. I think Cronenberg is one of the greatest directors who ever worked in the horror genre, a fiercely independent voice whose 1986 version of "The Fly" is a tremendously affecting horror film and also one of the greatest AIDS-era movies about living with someone as they deteriorate before your eyes.
I guess I'm a little confused, though. Cronenberg has always seemed downright hostile about another remake of this story. He recently toured the world with an opera version of the story, co-written with Howard Shore, and I figured that was his last word on it.
Now I'm reading that technology is a factor in getting him to sign on for another version, and that just baffles me. Really? CGI is what's going to get Cronenberg to saddle up again? Somehow, that doesn't seem right.
[more after the jump]
The thing about that short story is that no one's done it on film yet. Not the original movie. Not the sequel to it. Not the remake. They've barely touched the source material. And there's still a lot of greatness in there if they go digging. Or if Cronenberg has a brand-new angle that he thinks makes the material relevant again, I'm interested. This isn't the sort of film I want to dismiss over some knee-jerk reaction.
But it's been a discouraging month for me on the movie side of things, and I am reaching a point where I really truly actively hate our business. I love individual movies as much as I ever have, but the industry right now is a rancid, bloated corpse, and Hollywood keeps poking it with a stick, hoping it'll explode and just hoping none of it ends up on them. We are eating our tail, and when an artist as singular and personal as David Cronenberg ends up remaking a movie HE ALREADY REMADE, we are truly in the end days.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013