Danny McBride and Jody Hill, the team behind 'Foot Fist Way,' announce a new project
Newly-formed Rough House Pictures buys their first pitch
Variety just put up a story that I'd link you to if they weren't hidden behind a paywall these days. Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to paraphrase and share the good news with you m'self.
When I was at Sundance, I was walking out of the "Cyrus" premiere at the Eccles, desperate to get to a bus for the next screening, and I ran into a group of familiar faces standing together outside, including Danny McBride, Jody Hill, and David Gordon Green. They all seemed really excited by what they'd just seen, and we talked for a moment about the Duplass Brothers film and how "Your Hightness" is shaping up and finally about Rough House Pictures, the new company they just set up as part of Mandate Pictures. Their assigned task is to develop small comedy films that can be delivered at a price, and it sounds like they're already up and running.
For example, today they announced that Jody will direct "L.A.P.I.", a Los Angeles-based detective film that will star Danny. That combination is reason for comedy fans to rejoice, and even without any further story details being known, consider that one of my most-anticipated films right now. What I find interesting is that the script for the film did not originate with McBride and Hill, a la "Foot Fist Way."
Instead, they bought the idea as a pitch by writers Michael Diliberti and Matthew Sullivan, who were on the Black List last year for two separate scripts: "30 Minutes Or Less" and "Comic-Con." I've got both scripts here but hadn't gotten around to reading them yet. This announcement pretty much moves them to the top of the reading stack, because I'd like to see what their voice is like. I'm curious to see what sort of fit they'll be with Hill and McBride, who have such a particular comic sensibility.
I'll be really curious to see what sort of timetable this happens on, since they've got to make the second season of "East Bound And Down" before they jump into another feature film, I'm guessing. I'm also really curious to see what becomes of that "southern 'Godfather'" Hill mentioned he was thinking about writing after "Observe & Report."
Whatever the case, these guys are right on the frontline of the sort of comedy I like most, and I have my fingers crossed that whatever "L.A.P.I." is, it delivers on the promise of their first film together.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013
Can this series really survive the loss of Justin Lin?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Plus how devoted do you have to be to be called a 'Trekkkie'?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Will he be heading out on a new adventure soon?Tuesday, May 14, 2013