Confirmed: New scene for 'Avengers' shot in LA after premiere
Joss Whedon takes a perfect opportunity for a victory lap
Marvel's much-hyped and long-awaited "The Avengers" had its premiere in Hollywood on Wednesday night in front of an audience of industry professionals and junket press, and word of mouth on Twitter immediately afterwards was largely positive, encouraging to say the least.
I'll be sitting down with the cast and with Joss Whedon this weekend, and we'll have those interviews for you here at HitFix and on our Hulu channel as well very soon. There's plenty to talk about, especially after what happened at today's press conference for the film.
Our newest correspondent, Geoff Berkshire, was at the press conference today, and he posted a piece about it that is a good read, although it may give away some of the film's pleasures if you read it. I saw the film tonight, and the good news is that even if you've seen all the trailers and commercials, you reeeeeeally haven't seen anything yet.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Or, more accurately, they're done filming now, but only because while I was sitting in a theater in Hollywood watching the movie, The Avengers were assembled once again to shoot… something.
What they shot is still a closely-guarded secret, but the point of the timing was so that they could get everyone in one place at the same time. Makes sense. There are a few moments in the film where you can't help but marvel at the fact that they really did it, they really put this thing together, and ever doing it again is going to be even twice the magic trick. It's not just a matter of money, either. These movies have served to launch careers and relaunch others, and they're going to be some busy, busy people in the next few years.
At the press conference today, Downey mentioned that they were planning to shoot a new scene later in the day. I saw people on Twitter mention the comment, particularly Devin Faraci and Geoff, who Tweeted:
"Robert Downey Jr just said #TheAvengers is not done shooting."
When Geoff e-mailed us, he said, "Is he kidding? He says he isn't. He just deadpanned it and left."
Then he mailed again to tell us that Joss Whedon started the next press conference by denying it. "Sounds like it was Downey just having fun." Mark Ruffalo insisted it was true, though. It sounded from the outside like a case of sarcasm reported as fact, maybe a private joke that wasn't playing to anyone who wasn't there.
Jeremy "Beaks" Smith over at Ain't It Cool is a source I would absolutely trust when he says he has it confirmed, though, including the when and the where. And while that new scene most likely won't be ready for the fan screenings happening this weekend, it should be dropped into the film wherever it goes by the time it hits theaters.
I can't wait to dig into this one as a review, and to have the conversation that's going to kick off when "The Avengers" opens in theaters everywhere May 4.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
9 days ago
28 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013
Can this series really survive the loss of Justin Lin?Wednesday, May 15, 2013