Clint Eastwood signs to direct J. Edgar Hoover biopic
Dustin Lance Black wrote the picture, currently seeking studio
I'm not always in love with each of Clint Eastwood's movies, but I think he's one of those directors whose no-nonsense approach and tireless work ethic is fascinating. And when it does connect for me, I tend to fall head over heels. In most cases, it just boils down to subject matter.
One of my particular strange avenues of interest over the years has been the history of espionage and intelligence in the United States and around the world. There's something about the notion of how information is gathered and used and turned into currency that I find endlessly fascinating. And if you're interested in that subject, you cannot avoid J. Edgar Hoover. He was hugely important to the way this country's culture developed, both because of what he did and what he struggled to suppress.
Dustin Lance Black, who won the Academy Award for his screenplay for "Milk," has already written the script for producers Brian Grazer and Ron Howard. They were going to make the film at Universal, but it's in turnaround now, and with Eastwood signing on to direct, a safe assumption would be that the film will end up at Warner Bros.
I'm curious how much of Hoover's life the film is going to cover. Hoover helped start the FBI in the '30s and was director of the bureau until he died in 1972. That's an unbelievable time period, full of turbulent changes in society, and Hoover was ground zero for all of it. He bullied anyone who he considered a threat to American values, including people like Martin Luther King, Jr., and he kept files on everyone in the government, unafraid to use what he knew, even against seated Presidents.
I'm curious, based on Black's personal life and his work on "Milk," if he decides to delve into the much-discussed and still-debated notion that Hoover was a closeted homosexual whose longtime partner Clyde Toulson was also a major presence at the FBI. I think it's factual, but because of how closely Hoover protected his secrets, it's the hardest material to approach, and I'd be curious to see how it was handled.
Overall, the announcement raises tons of questions, and all of them are promising. This is one I'll be paying close attention to as it works its way through development and towards production.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013
Can this series really survive the loss of Justin Lin?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Plus how devoted do you have to be to be called a 'Trekkkie'?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Will he be heading out on a new adventure soon?Tuesday, May 14, 2013