Watch: Christopher Nolan's 'Inception' gets a teaser trailer...
... and it looks like Warner Bros. is rebooting 'The Matrix'
I know Warner Bros. isn't literally rebooting "The Matrix," but you know that there's some part of them that curses the fact that the franchise sort of bottomed out, because they thought they were going to be milking that particular cash cow for yeeeeeeeears to come.
Now, thanks to Christopher Nolan, they might get a second chance.
I would guess that the director can do no wrong in the eyes of the studio after the way "The Dark Knight" caught fire with both critics and moviegoers alike. He was already considered one of the most interesting mainstream filmmakers working, and the choice to make "The Prestige" between his Batman movies indicated to me that he was going to return to his personal interests as often as possible, a good thing. When he set up "Inception" as his mid-Batman snack this time around, working from an original script he co-wrote with his evil genius brother Jonathan Nolan, it was automatically exciting because it's an original SF film made with the full backing of the studio, swollen with cash from the monster hit that Nolan just handed them. That's the best time for a filmmaker to try and get something new or different past the development process. Studio heads get drunk when you pump a billion dollars or so into the pipeline with one movie, and filmmakers can sneak some fascinating things by under those conditions.
So what is "Inception"? That's still a mystery, but based on the footage that's glimpsed in the following trailer, I'd say we have our first few clues, worth discussing once you've taken a look:
[more after the jump]
Okay... that looks exactly like a Chris Nolan movie should look. He's developing his own visual signature just as clearly as any major visual stylist working today, and there's a sort of creamy, rich, heightened look to the way he shoots things. Like the whole world is an oil painting. "YOUR MIND... IS THE SCENE OF THE CRIME" is an intriguing tagline, but there's no denying that with just this little bit of information and the images of Joseph Gordon-Levitt fighting someone in that hallway that appears to be tilting and tumbling, there's a strong "Matrix" vibe. The rumor right now is that the film deals with a company led by Di Caprio's character who can solve problems that take place in the mind by inserting themselves into someone's brainscape. Not sure if that's true or not, but it seems to at least fit what we're seeing here.
What's most intriguing to me is the way the fanboy nation has decided that Nolan can do no wrong. Dangerous place to be for any filmmaker, because the moment you disappoint this crowd, they'll turn, and they'll be nasty about it. For right now, though, Nolan is the conquering hero, and it seems like nothing but celebration for this trailer out there. Personally, I'm not sure why we needed a teaser for this a year ahead of release if the teaser's just going to show us out-of-context action and not even hint at plot or the main hook. I know they just got the production up and running, so it seems very early for any ad campaign to kick in. Still, based on the ecstatic reaction from most quarters, the gamble appears to have worked.
With a cast that includes Di Caprio, Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, Michael Caine, Tom Hardy, and Lukas Haas, "Inception" is due to hit theaters in the summer of 2010.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013