Chris Nolan has his eye on Weisz, Portman, Knightley for 'Dark Knight Rises'
But who will the actresses play?
At this point, can we just run the same list of names for every project and call it the "exclusive wish list" and have that count as good reporting?
Word is that Christopher Nolan is about to start meeting actresses for two major roles in the new "Batman" film, one a villain and one a romantic interest. The list as it stands now is Rachel Weisz, Naomi Watts, Blake Lively, Natalie Portman, Anne Hathaway, and Keira Knightley. Or, to put it another way, the same basic group of talented A-list names that are considered for pretty much every big-budget movie with a female lead of a certain age.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
So who would it be if not Catwoman? And do we really buy that Nolan's just going to add a "romantic interest" to the film? That doesn't really seem to fit the character as Nolan's written so far, unless that romance came directly out of the thematic demands of the movie.
I think the best bet for who we're actually going to see here is Talia Al Ghul, who's been a major part of the comic mythology, and whose father just happened to be the character played by Liam Neeson in the first film. Like Catwoman, Talia has served as both foil and flame for Batman over the years, and she even carried Bruce Wayne's baby, which makes her a fascinating possibility to wrap up Nolan's trilogy. The Al Ghul family could turn out to be the most important figures in the Nolanverse aside from Batman himself.
Whoever these female characters are, remember they're not alone in the film. Tom Hardy's already onboard as a villain, and I doubt he's just going to be a bit player. There's a lot we don't know about this film yet, and while there are some hints we can take from all this casting talk, jumping to conclusions is silly, and it also gets the hardcore fans worked up about things that don't pan out, leading to disappointment for no good reason.
For now, I'll just say that if it is Talia, I'd love to see Weisz play the role. Then again, there are few roles I wouldn't want to see Weisz play. I just think she's got the right heft and maturity and presence to stand toe-to-toe with Bale's Batman.
We can expect to see "The Dark Knight Rises" on July 20, 2012.
News From Our Partners
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
As the series shifts focus and winds down, we talk to the main trio about returning one last timeWednesday, May 22, 2013
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013
Let's see what sort of boners fall out of Tobias's mouth this timeTuesday, May 21, 2013
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013