'Captain America' has found his Bucky in the form of 'Gossip Girl' star Sebastian Stan
Does a contract for multiple films mean we may see The Winter Soldier?
If they had left Bucky completely out of the upcoming Marvel movie "The First Avenger: Captain America," I would not have been remotely surprised.
After all, Chris Nolan made the decision to completely ignore Robin in his modern take on Batman, convinced that there's no way to do it without people snickering, and sidestepping the issue altogether certainly hasn't hurt the way people view the Batman movies.
So if they had made this film without ever once referencing Bucky, it would have been one of those major creative adjustments that I would have understood. Wouldn't necessarily be the choice I would make, but I would understand it. It's hard to sell the idea of the underage sidekick for a superhero. There's just too much pop culture that's made fun of the idea so mercilessly.
So hats off to Marvel for casting Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes, who was too young to join the Army but old enough to suit up and fight alongside Captain America, and whose fate at the hands of the Red Skull marked a major turning point for many comic readers. In recent years, new narrative choices have expanded the role of Bucky in the Marvel Universe, and word is Stan's signed for as many as six movies.
According to the always on-the-spot Borys Kit, Stan auditioned for the role of Captain America, and he must have made some impression on the producers. The same thing happened with Tom Hiddleston on "Thor" after he auditioned as the title character, only to end up playing Loki.
The film starts shooing this summer in Europe, and Joe Johnston is directing, with an eye on a summer 2011 release. The hunt for "Captain America" was big news for the last couple of months, and Chris Evans signed on only recently, so my guess is the rest of the cast is now falling into place around him as they gear up for production. Hugo Weaving has been widely reported to have the role of The Red Skull, the main bad guy in the movie, although there's still no word on how the character will be handled visually.
Sebastian Stan is probably best known to teenage girls, looking at his filmography, with major roles on "Gossip Girl" and in films like "The Covenant" under his belt. He just recently finished shooting Darren Aronofsky's "Black Swan," though, and he's also in the new horror film "The Apparition," which is shooting now, and audiences can see him even as we speak in "Hot Tub Time Machine." He plays Blaine, the guy with the "Red Dawn" obsession who repeatedly beats Rob Corddry's ass so badly that at one point he loses a shoe. He's one of those guys on the verge of being recognized, and this role could certainly help make that happen.
We'll have more for you as the film gets underway soon.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013