Check it out... the first image of Chris Hemsworth as 'Thor'
Next summer's first big Marvel movie finally reveals its hero
Here's a case where a studio is taking back the conversation about a film of theirs after several online leaks, and in the best possible way. First the "secret ending" of "Iron Man 2," which may tie in to the larger Marvel Universe in some way, was spoiled by a bootlegged version of the scene, and then a spy photo showed up online this week of one of the major villains in "Thor." In an effort to shift the conversation, Paramount and Marvel have now offered up the first official still of Chris Hemsworth in costume as Thor, and it's a great, evocative first look at the character.
I sincerely believe "Thor" is poised to be a major surprise hit next year, and I say "surprise" even though this is a giant-budget Marvel Studios superhero movie because I think it's still a title that is under the radar for many people. "Thor" is in the same position now that "Iron Man" was a year before release. Many people predicted that the general public had no idea who Iron Man was, and that they wouldn't care. With "Thor," the question marks all seem to be about the way the studio plans to introduce Norse gods and mythology and magic into an onscreen universe that so far seems to be based in science, even if it is Marvel pseudo-science.
One of the first things that won me over when I was given a sneak peek at the world of "Thor" was the design, and I think it's going to be a striking, gorgeous, larger-than-life movie. The costuming in the film is bold, and fans of the classic Jack Kirby era of the comic are going to be amazed how much the visual style evokes that stuff, but in a real-world way. Marvel isn't running from the grand operatic nature of the world of "Thor," and that's impressive.
Chris Hemsworth is, of course, an unproven commodity as a lead actor, and no matter how much I liked him in his big scene in "Star Trek," that's not proof that he can carry a movie this big. He's surrounded by some amazing actors in major roles, and having seen him in motion, I can say that he looks the part. I've actually held the Mjolnir, and I can tell you that it's not easy to figure out how to wield a battle hammer in a way that looks cool and authentic and commanding, and Hemsworth has that part of the job down cold. He's going to successfully strike an iconic Thor pose or two, including this first glimpse one that Yahoo Movies was able to exclusively premiere.
We'll have more for you on this film as it gets closer to release. "Thor" is due in theaters May 6, 2011.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad
- Interview: Arrested Development’s Jeffrey Tambor on the show’s return and inevitable movie Gateways To Geekery: An initiation into the psychedelic sci-fi rock of Hawkwind Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single
- Jennifer Aniston Strips In New Movie AMC Boss Reveals Plans For 'The Walking Dead's' Future Amy's Baking Co. Owner Facing Deportation?
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Netflix's 'Hemlock Grove': Is Season 2 in the Cards? 'Arrow' Season 2: What Major Scene Was Cut From the Finale? J.J. Abrams Adresses 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Underwear Scene by Showing Benedict Cumberbatch Showering
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013
Two of the supporting characters from the trilogy weigh in on saying goodbyeWednesday, May 22, 2013
Simon Pegg is still jumping fencesWednesday, May 22, 2013