Captain America suits up for a great look at Chris Evans in costume
It's been a good day for Marvel fans
So evidently I committed the cardinal sin yesterday of being interested in something that was not brand spanking new.
I've seen the "Green Lantern" trailer twice. Once in a theater. Once at home. Both times, my impression was "Wow, that moved fast." Lots of images. Not much time to look at them. When I saw the Sinestro image pop up yesterday, I hadn't seen a still of him yet. I did not realize that the still was, in fact, a screen shot of his split-second appearance in the trailer.
I was informed of this by a flurry of e-mails, most of which started, "Hey, stupid," or some variation thereof.
I apologize for the life choices that I've made which have led to me not memorizing the trailer and being interested by a still that was not, in fact, released in the last 24 hours.
To make up for this, I bring you Entertainment Weekly's latest photo from "Captain America: The First Avenger," starring Chris Evans as the title character, as scanned by the folks at Coming Soon. Not only is it new, but it's the best complete look we've gotten at the costume so far. And check out those HYDRA soldiers behind him, eh?
And, I have to say, I like it. It's a nice solution to one of the most difficult-to-translate costumes in all of superhero comics. There are so many remarkable ways Captain America could look like an idiot, so many easy ways, and I'm guessing this was a looooooooooooooooong process before they settled on the costume we see here. I like the way it looks practical, like a suit that would both protect and allow for motion. I like the details of design, the way the American theme has been incorporated into the aesthetics. That, more than anything, is what had me nervous.
To his credit, he doesn't just look like a flag with feet. Evans is such a charismatic guy that I have a feeling he's going to relax into this role like he was born for it. And now that I've seen the suit, the only thing I'm still curious about (aside from seeing the finished film, of course) is when we'll get our first good look at the final design for Red Skull, played by Hugo Weaving.
Between this and Spider-Man, not a bad day to be a Marvel fan. Your move, DC. Maybe it's time to drop something awesome on fandom to remind them that you're in the game, eh?
"Captain America: The First Avenger" opens in theaters everywhere July 22, 2011.
News From Our Partners
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013