By the gods, what Photoshoppery bedevils Chris Hemsworth as Thor?
More Marvel images for next summer's big movies leak online
So we start the day with some images of Captain America, clearly production art designed to show how the costume might look on the actor. Reaction to those images have been mixed all day, and I understand... it's a pretty striking thing to suddenly see Captain America rendered "realistically."
Over at Collider, they were sent two pictures that definitely show you the final design for the way Thor looks in next summer's "Thor." However, I've been to the set for that film, and I've seen Hemsworth in final costume tests, and I've seen the overall aesthetic for Asgard. While what you're seeing in the Collider images is indeed the design for the costume, there are several details about it that are ill-served by those images.
For one thing, it does not appear to be made of vinyl or plastic when you see the costume in context and in motion. I'm surprised by how disco-shiny those photos make him look, because that's not at all what it looks like in the film. There's a real cloth and metal feel to all of the costuming, especially the Asgardian stuff.
That early official shot of Hemsworth did a nice job of setting a mood, and that's something these leaked images lack completely. Also, whoever did the Photoshopping on these has some real issues with scale. Forget that cape that looks snapped on... what about the way his head and hands look freakishly large?
Look, these images weren't meant for public consumption. If you're looking at these and thinking, "Oh, man, they got him totally wrong," relax. The world of "Thor" is big and rich and surprising, and I think once people actually see moving footage, they're going to let go of any minor issues they have with button sizes or color palettes.
One final note on these images... they make Mjolnir, Thor's enchanted hammer, look fairly dinky. I've held that hammer. That thing is heavy as hell, and the real trick of what Hemsworth's got to do in the role is make it look not just menacing, but imposing as well.
"Thor" will be in theaters May 6, 2011. We'll have plenty more on the film, including details of that set visit and what we saw there, in the next year right here on HitFix.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
Become a fan of HitFix on Facebook.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013
David Twohy's latest looks lean and meanWednesday, May 15, 2013