Are John Malkovich and Anne Hathaway the villains in 'Spider-Man 4'?
And if so, who are they playing?
I don't know what to think about this latest "Spider-Man 4" rumor from Movieline.
John Malkovich as The Vulture? I can get behind that. He's physically right for the part, and he's at the age where he suggests the way the character was written, but he's still got the right stamina to actually play the part. And certainly he's a great actor, and a great villain if the material is right. And, let's not forget, he was one of the actors considered for The Green Goblin for the original "Spider-Man," and was evidently a real possibility at one point before the role eventually went to Willem Dafoe.
We've mentioned the hunt for Felicia Hardy here on the site before, but if this Movieline article is accurate, the character isn't going to be the character we think she is. And this is by far the strangest decision they've made yet on this series, and that's saying something after the dance number in "Spider-Man 3."
Felicia Hardy in the comics is a character named The Black Cat. She's basically Catwoman for the Marvel Universe, a thief of some moral complexity who sometimes romances Spider-Man and sometimes fights him. Hot girl. Tight costume. Pretty simple stuff. And Anne Hathaway, who is alleged to be getting closer and closer to signing for the role, would certainly fill out the spandex well. She's engaging, she's funny, she's gorgeous and she's physically substantial, so I could actually buy her in the action scenes.
But according to Movieline, although she's possibly playing Felicia Hardy, she won't be playing The Black Cat because Raimi and his round-robin of writers have decided that Hardy isn't The Black Cat, but is instead The Vulturess.
Can this be right? If so, does that mean that Malkovich and Hathaway are playing father and daughter? Or some other familial combination? The original version of Hardy had some daddy issues, so it wouldn't be too out-of-line if she and Malkovich are connected.
But it raises the basic question, asked time and time again as source material is distorted wildly during the adaptation process: why? What urgent reason is there to reinvent the character? If Raimi wants a Vulturess, why not just create one and leave Felicia Hardy out of it?
Oh, well. One of us is worth millions of dollars and is actually steering the franchise. And one of us is writing about him. I think Raimi wins this round, and I'm sure we'll hear in the weeks ahead if this casting is final, and if these character descriptions are accurate.
"Spider-Man 4" is set for release on May 6, 2011.
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013