A Motion/Captured Milestone
500 blog entries since HitFix went live
It is, appropriately, five in the morning when I finish formatting and preparing some reviews that I'll be posting soon, and I look at the blog that I've just been editing and shuffling and planning for, and I realize that the next thing I publish will be the 500th entry since we went live in December of 2008.
It's an arbitrary number, but it's enough to make me realize that the past year has been particularly energizing for me as a critic and as an online writer in general. Even after doing this for over a decade at Ain't It Cool, it wasn't really doing this, since whatever this is, it seems to evolve a little more each day, each event, each review. And I'm really pleased with the way things are going so far.
I've met many of you on the streets of Toronto or on the subways or at press events or at screenings this week, and it's been nice, as always, to actually speak to the people who are out there reading all of this stuff I shovel onto the website, hoping some of it sticks, knowing that for every one thing I publish, there's three more things I wish I could publish at the same time. I'm working as hard as I can, and it still doesn't seem hard enough, although no one's more critical than I am of my output.
I had a weird, sort of frustrating day, but when I heard about MCN's Kim Voynar, who had to be taken from the festival to the hospital, I realized that complaining when you're being paid to see movies and discuss them with the filmmaker, no matter how much walking or waiting or anything else is involved, is just plain ridiculous. This is a great job I have, and I enjoy the conversation just as much today as I ever have.
I hope that whether this is the 500th of these blog entries that you've read or the first, that you'll make this a regular bookmark, and just know that all of this so far is warm-up. We're just getting to the good stuff, and I'm hoping to really pack on the movies for the next three days so that you feel like you get a good picture of what's being offered here at the Toronto International Film Festival.
First up, a very interesting music documentary, and I'll have that for you in the next hour...
Can't get enough of Motion/Captured? Don't miss a post with daily HitFix Blog Alerts. Sign up now.
Don't miss out. Add Motion/Captured to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience by clicking here.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
The director's next film promises to be packed with talentSunday, May 19, 2013
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013